AN ACTIVE COMMUNICATOR
“What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate,” is the famous line from the classic film, Cool Hand Luke. And it is the failure to communicate that is often the downfall of team leaders and, ultimately, it leads to the decreased effectiveness of many teams. The leader fails to communicate with team members and key stakeholders.
When the leader is an ineffective or inactive communicator, this leads to all sorts of internal team problems. When communication breaks down:
• Team trust suffers
• Team climate turns negative.
• Team decision-making is less effective.
• Team member motivation diminishes.
• Team meetings become dull and boring.
• Team member conflict increases.
External communication also suffers ...