We focus most often on the actions that foster trust on a team, as in the previous checklist, but it also instructive to look at the specific behaviors that lead to distrust. In one study of trust in team leaders, the following were the five top behaviors associated with reducing trust in a leader.
1. Sends mixed messages so that I never know where he or she stands. They are inconsistent.
2. Acts more concerned about his or her own welfare than the team.
3. Avoids taking responsibility for his or her actions. They tend to “pass the buck” instead of saying “the buck stops here.”
4. Jumps to conclusions, especially negative conclusions, without checking the facts first.
5. Hides information or lies about things ...