Automated tests are great! They tell you when your software is broken and enable you to refactor with confidence, leading to cleaner codebases and less stressed developers. Tests are so great, in fact, that a group of true believers started writing them before the actual code. What they called test-driven development (TDD) turned out to be a fantastic way to develop software.
Now, with this video course, you can get started with TDD step-by-step. TDD is often demonstrated with toy examples that fail to represent the challenges of real-world software development. But in this course, Harry Percival takes you through a practical example designed to look more like real life: building a simple web app with all the complexities associated with web browsers, the HTTP protocol, web frameworks, and database integration.
You’ll learn how to:
- Use unit tests to guide the development of Django view functions and model classes
- Test user interactions with functional tests that use Selenium to drive a real web browser
- Get a feeling for the unit-test/code cycle, where tests verify each tiny change to the code
- Use tests to refactor code systematically and with confidence
- Make version control with Git part of the process
- Evolve an existing application incrementally, always going from working state to working state
This video course is based on Harry Percival’s book, Test-Driven Development with Python from O’Reilly. Once you’ve completed the course, you can dig even deeper into the subject with the book.
Harry J.W. Percival works at PythonAnywhere LLP and spreads the gospel of TDD worldwide at talks, workshops, and conferences.
- Title: Test-Driven Development
- Release date: October 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491919163
You might also like
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …
The Five-Minute Interview 3rd Edition
A new, updated edition of the successful job hunter's classic In this new third edition of …
Algorithms in Motion
"Good and simple to understand introduction to algorithms." Boris Vasile, Team Lead, Garmin Cluj Algorithms - …
Kubernetes in Action
Kubernetes in Action teaches you to use Kubernetes to deploy container-based distributed applications. You'll start with …