Fundamental testing methodologies applied to the popular Python language
Testing Python; Applying Unit Testing, TDD, BDD and Acceptance Testing is the most comprehensive book available on testing for one of the top software programming languages in the world. Python is a natural choice for new and experienced developers, and this hands-on resource is a much needed guide to enterprise-level testing development methodologies. The book will show you why Unit Testing and TDD can lead to cleaner, more flexible programs.
Unit Testing and Test-Driven Development (TDD) are increasingly must-have skills for software developers, no matter what language they work in. In enterprise settings, it's critical for developers to ensure they always have working code, and that's what makes testing methodologies so attractive. This book will teach you the most widely used testing strategies and will introduce to you to still others, covering performance testing, continuous testing, and more.
Learn Unit Testing and TDD—important development methodologies that lie at the heart of Agile development
Enhance your ability to work with Python to develop powerful, flexible applications with clean code
Draw on the expertise of author David Sale, a leading UK developer and tech commentator
Get ahead of the crowd by mastering the underappreciated world of Python testing
Knowledge of software testing in Python could set you apart from Python developers using outmoded methodologies. Python is a natural fit for TDD and Testing Python is a must-read text for anyone who wants to develop expertise in Python programming.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: A History of Testing
Chapter 2: Writing Unit Tests
- What Is Unit Testing?
- What Should You Test?
- Writing Your First Unit Test
- Following the PEP-8 Standard
- Unit Test Structure
- Additional Unit Test Examples
- Useful Methods in Unit Testing
Chapter 3: Utilizing Unit Test Tools
- Using Python’s Nose
- PyTest: An Alternative Test Runner
- Mock and Patch Tricky Situations
- Chapter 4: Writing Testable Documentation
- Chapter 5: Driving Your Development with Tests
Chapter 6: Writing Acceptance Tests
- What Is Acceptance Testing?
- Letting Behavior Drive Your Problem
- Advanced Acceptance Test Techniques
- Chapter 7: Utilizing Acceptance Test Tools
- Chapter 8: Maximizing Your Code’s Performance
- Chapter 9: Looking After Your Lint
- Chapter 10: Automating Your Processes
- Chapter 11: Deploying Your Application
- Chapter 12: The Future of Testing Python
- Title: Testing Python: Applying Unit Testing, TDD, BDD and Acceptance Testing
- Release date: July 2014
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118901229