CHAPTER 8Key #3: Let Teams Take on More of the Hierarchical Roles
During the discouragement stage of changing to empowerment, people may feel very alone, seemingly unaware that others all around them are experiencing the same concerns. Some of the issues and questions that will be going through their minds are as follows:
- I wonder if others feel as awkward and strange about these changes as I do.
- I used to know what was happening and how to do my job. Now I feel lost and unsure about how to do my work.
- I’m not sure I have the skills that are going to be needed in a culture of empowerment.180
- How much of this change effort can I handle now? When will it stop, anyway?
- Some people seem so ready to change, but I’m not ready yet. Or, just the ...