Addiction destroys lives. In The Addicted Brain, leading neuroscientist Michael Kuhar, Ph.D., explains how and why this happens–and presents advances in drug addiction treatment and prevention. Using breathtaking brain imagery and other research, Kuhar shows the powerful, long-term brain changes that drugs can cause, revealing why it can be so difficult for addicts to escape their grip.
Discover why some people are far more susceptible to addiction than others as the author illuminates striking neural similarities between drugs and other pleasures potentially capable of causing abuse or addiction–including alcohol, gambling, sex, caffeine, and even Internet overuse. Kuhar concludes by outlining the 12 characteristics most often associated with successful drug addiction treatment.
Authoritative and easy to understand, The Addicted Brain offers today’s most up-to-date scientific explanation of addiction–and what addicts, their families, and society can do about it.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- 1. What’s in This Book, and Why Should I Read It?
- 2. Hardwired: What Animals Tell Us About the Human Desire for Drugs
- 3. Feeling Good: The Brain’s Own Reward System
- 4. The ABCs of Drug Action in the Brain
- 5. The Dark Side Develops!
- 6. Why Are Drugs So Powerful?
- 7. The Brain Is Changed—For a Long Time!
- 8. Could I Become an Addict?
- 9. Stress, Social Status, and Drugs
- 10. Gambling, Sex, and Food
- 11. What Else Do Drugs Do to Me?
- 12. Women and Adolescents
- 13. Treatment: How Do I Get Better?
- 14. What Does the Future Hold?
- Title: The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine
- Release date: November 2011
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780132616911
You might also like
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …
Fluent Python, 2nd Edition
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but often this means you aren’t using everything it …
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …