1. Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel, Norton, 1998.
2. For a fuller description of the development and flight of younger people from the Mid-west in the USA see National Geographic, December 2004 issue.
3. Paul Kennedy, The Rise and Fall of Great Powers, Random House, Vintage Books, 1989, p. 149.
4. Women in the United Kingdom gained their right to vote only in 1932 and that can be taken as a reasonable indicator of the status of the underprivileged in the pre-World War II period, even in the developed world. The developing world gained their political freedom immediately after the war. These two developments summarise the worldwide status of the underprivileged in the middle of the 20th century.
5. This is more of a moralist’ ...