The Art and Science of Communication shows you a new way to understand and use communication in the workplace. Revealing the seven types of communication we all use every day, the book shows you how to increase your communication effectiveness in any setting with practical techniques, analogies, and models that clearly explain the formulas for successful communication. Combining the science and art of communication into one effective formula, this book offers a straightforward and easy to understand plan for a more successful career.
Table of contents
1. Intrapersonal Communication
- 1.1. SELF-SABOTAGE OR SELF-FULFILLMENT?
- 1.2. DISCIPLINE OF THE MIND
- 1.3. DIVE INTO YOUR LIFE!
- 1.4. WHERE DID THAT THOUGHT COME FROM?
- 1.5. CREATING OUR SELF-IMAGE AT WORK
- 1.6. GROWING UP "DIFFERENT"
- 1.7. WRITING A NEW SCRIPT
- 1.8. TAKING OWNERSHIP
- 1.9. JILL'S DAY
- 1.10. WAKING UP TO YOUR DAY!
- 1.11. CONQUERING THE FIRST STEP
- 1.12. FIRST THINGS FIRST!
- 2. Nonverbal Communication
- 3. Interpersonal Communication
4. Small-Group/Organizational Communication
- 4.1. TO GROUP OR NOT TO GROUP... THAT IS THE QUESTION
- 4.2. JILL'S DAY
- 4.3. I VERSUS WE: THE CULTURAL PARADOX
- 4.4. CO-OPETITION MODEL OF ADVANCEMENT
- 4.5. MAKING ROOM FOR THE GROUP REALITY
- 4.6. LEADERSHIP COMMUNICATION
- 4.7. CONSTRUCTIVE CONFLICT
- 4.8. THE COMMUNICATION CLIMATE
- 4.9. SMALL-GROUP MEMBERSHIP AND FACILITATION
- 5. Public Communication
- 6. Mass Communication
7. Intercultural Communication
- 7.1. WE CAN ALL GET ALONG!
- 7.2. WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE
- 7.3. WE ARE ALL PREJUDICED!
- 7.4. UNDERSTANDING PERCEPTION
- 7.5. CULTURE AND VALUES THAT IMPACT THE WORKPLACE
- 7.6. NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION IS CULTURALLY BOUND
- 7.7. GLOBAL COMMUNITY
- 7.8. DIVERSITY AND THE WORKPLACE
- 7.9. THE "OTHER" IN THE WORKPLACE
- 7.10. JILL'S DAY
- 7.11. INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
- 7.12. BECOMING A CROSS-CULTURAL BRIDGE THROUGH CULTURAL COMPETENCY
- EPILOGUE: New Beginnings
- Title: The Art and Science of Communication: Tools for Effective Communication in the Workplace
- Release date: May 2008
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470247594
You might also like
Most information systems textbooks overwhelm business students with overly technical information they may not need in …
Experiential Learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development, Second Edition
Experiential learning is a powerful and proven approach to teaching and learning that is based on …
The 7 Principles of Conflict Resolution
is the go-to resource for conflict and dispute resolution, whether you’re new to the subject or …
The Guide to Entrepreneurship
Whether you work for an established company and want to trailblaze new products (intrapreneurship), or want …