Monitoring Tornado: Data tier
Our last tier, the Data tier, is made up of two servers,
tornado-db running MySQL and
tornado-redis running Redis. For Tornado’s Data tier, what do we care about? Let’s break down our concerns:
- That MySQL and Redis are running on their respective hosts.
- 99th-percentile latency adding items to the Tornado DB is three milliseconds or less.
- That maximum MySQL connections don’t exceed 80% of the available connections.
- That we can measure the rate of aborted connections to MySQL.
- That we are generating application metrics from data inside our MySQL database.
- That we can measure key queries to ensure they are performing within expectations.
We’ll start with configuring the monitoring for each component and the underlying ...