Our love for the digital interface is out of control.
Expanded from one of the most shared design essays ever written, and one of the most popular talks at innovation conferences around the world, this entertaining and visionary book offers a compelling new way to see the future of technology.
Digital interfaces today consume our lives. The average adult today spends over eight hours a day staring at a screen, and some apparent technological innovators are hoping for more. They’re making screens for your wrist, face, and car; and creating apps that try to get you addicted so they can boost their advertising revenue. Innovation has become Facebook updates inside cars, refrigerators that send tweets, and garbage cans that show us the current weather.
There’s a better path.
In this raw and delightful critique, learn the fascinating ways to think beyond screens using three principles that can lead us toward more meaningful innovation. Whether you’re working in the technology industry or just concerned about our technological future, you’ll find this insightful and creative book captivating.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- 3. Slap an Interface on It!: Slimmer TVs! Faster computers! And an overlooked epidemic of awful.
- 4. UX ≠ UI: I make interfaces because that’s my job, bro
- 5. Addiction UX: Click here to cut down your belly fat by using this one weird tip
- 6. Distraction: “Will you marry me?” “Sorry, I was sending Alice a text. What’d you say?”
- 7. Screen Insomnia: I love staring into a lightbulb! Me too!
- 8. The Screenless Office: The best interface is no interface
- Principle One: Embrace Typical Processes Instead of Screens
- Principle Two: Leverage Computers Instead of Serving Them
- Principle Three: Adapt to Individuals
- The Challenges
- 21. The Future: Wow, this is boring
Appendix A: Endnotes
- Chapter 1 Why Did You Buy This Book?
- Chapter 2 Let’s Make an App
- Chapter 3 Slap an Interface on It!
- Chapter 4 Jobs
- Chapter 5 Addiction UX
- Chapter 6 Distraction
- Chapter 7 Screen Insomnia
- Chapter 8 The Screenless Office
- Chapter 9 Back Pocket Apps
- Chapter 10 Lazy Rectangles
- Chapter 11 Computer Tantrums
- Chapter 12 Machine Input
- Chapter 13 Analog and Digital Chores
- Chapter 14 Computing for One
- Chapter 15 Proactive Computing
- Chapter 17 Privacy
- Chapter 18 Automatic
- Chapter 19 Failure
- Title: The Best Interface Is No Interface: The Simple Path to Brilliant Technology
- Release date: February 2015
- Publisher(s): New Riders
- ISBN: 9780133890419