Although the need to expand the boundaries of financial reporting has been discussed since the mid-1990s, little consideration has been given to the evolution and discourses of integrated reporting of non-financial aspects. Yet by investigating how and why an organisation defines and its reporting boundaries, it is possible to understand what is truly "valued" (or not) in its business model.
This innovative book reviews the guidelines and frameworks from the major relevant international organisations including: the International Accounting Standards Board, Global Reporting Initiative, Sustainability Accounting Standards Board, International Integrated Reporting Council, Carbon Disclosure Standards Board, and the World Intellectual Capital Initiative, and analyses their development and impact on the boundaries of financial and non-financial reporting.
Illustrated with case studies and interviews with representatives of these organisations, this concise volume makes a significant contribution to the future of reporting theory and practice. It will be of great interest to advanced students, researchers, practitioners and policy makers.
Table of Contents
- List of illustrations
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Boundaries in financial reporting
3 Boundaries in non-financial reporting
- 3.1 The sustainability reporting approaches
- 3.2 The ‘value creation’-based approaches
- 3.3 EU Directive no. 95/2014 on Non-Financial and Diversity Information
- 3.4 Conclusion
4 From theory to practice: reporting boundaries from financial to integrated reporting and their professional implications
- 4.1 From sustainability to integrated reports: maintenance or change of reporting boundaries?
- 4.2 From annual to integrated reports (through intellectual capital): distance from and convergence to financial reporting boundaries?
- 4.3 The hybrid approach
- 4.4 A new dimension of the hybrid approach: the inclusion of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
- 4.5 Development of the reporting entity concept
- 4.6 The reporting boundary and the auditor
- 4.7 Materiality and stakeholders
- 4.8 Conclusion
- 5 The boundaries in financial and non-financial reporting: A colossus built on shaky foundations?
- Name index
- Subject index
- Title: The Boundaries in Financial and Non-Financial Reporting
- Release date: March 2018
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9780429996610