Praise for The Crowdsourced Performance Review:
"Take advantage of the technology and data available to you and turn the dreaded performance review into a powerful force for decision-making and culture-building by using the methods outlined in this clear and clever guide."
--Daniel H. Pink, author of To Sell Is Human and Drive
"Social technologies aren't just changing how people interact, they're fundamentally changing how businesses must engage with people inside and outside their organization. In The Crowdsourced Performance Review, Mosley shows HR and business leaders why a 'groundswell' approach for employee recognition is the key to driving better employee performance. This is one of the most innovative enterprise uses of crowdsourcing I've seen."
--Charlene Li, founder of Altimeter Group, author of Open Leadership, and coauthor of Groundswell
"In what is easily the most comprehensive and provocative Globoforce book to date, Mosley lays out a clear vision for how modern recognition systems can be integrated with performance management. This is one of the most interesting, innovative, and potentially important new approaches to performance management that I have seen in many years of working on this topic."
--Gerald Ledford, Senior Research Scientist, Center for Effective Organizations, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California
"The Crowdsourced Performance Review should be at the top of every HR professional's reading list. It shows convincingly why the traditional performance review doesn't work and how social recognition is the key to a performance system that actually makes an impact."
--Kevin Kruse, Forbes Leadership columnist and bestselling author of Employee Engagement 2.0
"As a pioneer in multirater feedback, I love Eric's new application! Social media comes to visit the performance appraisal. Many minds can be better than one! Read this and find out how."
--Marshall Goldsmith, author of New York Times bestsellers MOJO and What Got You Here Won't Get You There
Fix the Performance Review with the Wisdom of Crowds!
Today's most successful companies are transforming their predictable "one-way" review processes into dynamic, collaborative systems that apply the latest social technologies. Instead of a one-time annual evaluation of performance, managers and employees receive collective feedback from everyone across their company. It's all achieved through crowdsourcing, and it generates more accurate, actionable results than traditional methods.
With The Crowdsourced Performance Review, you'll create a review system that gathers the feedback of many, so you can make better, more informed decisions. And this new model is simpler than you think. It's based on three innovations:
CROWDSOURCING: Applying the same techniques that companies like Apple, Angie's List, and Zagat use to inform customers, you can gather the same kind of data to inform managers.
SOCIAL MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES: The most revolutionary communication tools since the telephone, these technologies have singlehandedly created a new language of business.
ORGANIZATIONAL CULTURE: When managed well, it's one of the most effective tools for building and maintaining a competitive advantage.
These three assets come together for the purpose of evaluating performance in the practice of social recognition--a system in which all employees recognize each other's great work on a daily basis. Social recognition creates engagement, energy, and even happiness in a company--leading to the ultimate goal of a Positivity-Dominated Workplace.
Table of contents
- THE CROWDSOURCED PERFORMANCE REVIEW: How to Use the Power of Social Recognition to Transform Employee Performance
- Copyright Page
PART 1 IMPROVING PERFORMANCE WITH THE WISDOM OF CROWDS
1 The Traditional Performance Review and the New Global Workplace
- Information Overload
- Search-Led Information Processing
- Move from Synchronous to Asynchronous Search
- It’s Twitter’s World
- The Young Want It All—and They’re Right
- The Work Stream
- Human Resources Overwhelmed
- The Troubled Traditional Performance Review
- A Single Point of Failure
- A Narrow Range of Information
- A Flawed Rewards Structure
- The “Objective” Illusion
- Traditional Performance Reviews Observe Only a Small Set of Behaviors
- The Traditional Review Is Difficult to Scale
- Traditional Reviews Do Not Inspire Engagement
- The Trouble with Technology
- Stack Ranking: Reviewing at the Extreme
- Can This System Be Saved?
- 2 Crowdsourcing and Human Resources
- 3 The Currency of Happiness
- 4 Crowdsourcing Performance with Social Recognition
5 The Business Case for Crowdsourcing
- Recent Changes in Work and the Workplace
- A Culture of Recognition
- Recognition and Management Science
- Recognition Supports Two Kinds of Cultures
- Recognition Drives Engagement
- Recognition Supports the Work of HR
- Recognition Supports HR Budgets
- Crowdsourced Feedback Deepens the Dialogue
- Voluntary Participation Is Key
- 1 The Traditional Performance Review and the New Global Workplace
PART 2 PUTTING THE CROWDSOURCED PERFORMANCE REVIEW INTO PRACTICE
- 6 How Recognition Supplements the Traditional Performance Review
- 7 Putting the Crowdsourced Performance Review into Practice
- 8 Improving Performance after the Review
PART 3 THE FUTURE OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- 9 Big Data, Crowdsourcing, and the Future of HR
- 10 A Vision for 2020
Appendix: Implementing Social Recognition
- Executive Sponsorship, Defined Goals, and Frequent Communication
- Establish a Single, Clear, Global Strategy
- Frame the Goals of a Social Recognition Practice Early
- Align Social Recognition with Company Values and Strategic Objectives
- Create an Opportunity for All to Participate
- Harness the Power of Individual Choice
- Include Recognition in a System of Total Rewards
- Cash Versus Noncash Rewards
- Include Recognition Activity in MBO Targets
- Understand Zero-Value Awards
- Does Everyone Get an Award?
- Recognition and the Marketplace
- What You Need for Social Recognition
- Title: The Crowdsourced Performance Review: How to Use the Power of Social Recognition to Transform Employee Performance
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071817998
You might also like
HBR Guides to Managing Your Career Collection (6 Books)
Don't wait for someone else to manage your career. Career paths are far from straightforward. HBR …
Applied Analytics through Case Studies Using SAS and R: Implementing Predictive Models and Machine Learning Techniques
Examine business problems and use a practical analytical approach to solve them by implementing predictive models …
Business Writing For Dummies, 3rd Edition
Learn how to write for the results you want every time, in every medium! Do you …
New Employee Orientation Training
If you ever have to design new employee orientation programs at the organizational or departmental level, …