This comprehensive book will ensure your business plan is robust enough to start, run or revitalise any business enterprise.
Whether your goal is raising start-up finance for a new business, requesting venture funding from a corporate parent or directing operational management, The Definitive Business Plan will help you deliver the information the decision-makers are really looking for.
Accessible to the newcomer and detailed enough for the experienced planner, the third edition of this international bestseller explains how to tailor a plan for specific readerships and meet specific objectives, helping you to focus your attention on strategic planning as well as on operational controls.
This new edition has been completely updated throughout.
Table of contents
- The Definitive Business Plan
- About the author
- Introduction to the First Edition
- Introduction to the Revised Second Edition
- Introduction to the Third Edition
- Symbols used
- What’s it all about?
- A winning presentation
- Getting down to it
- Know yourself
- Know the world
The core of your plan
- A strategy and an operating plan
- What is strategy?
- Portfolio strategy – what businesses should you have?
- Business strategies to satisfy your desires
- Strategies for department managers (1/2)
- Strategies for department managers (2/2)
- Resource requirements
- Strategic objectives
- Documenting the strategy
- Creating an operating plan
- Documenting the operating plan
- About these numbers
- Getting to gross profit
- Getting to net profit
Funding the business
- Balancing your cheque book
- Balance sheets and cash flow mechanics (1/2)
- Balance sheets and cash flow mechanics (2/2)
- Balance sheet headings
- Producing the paper
- Watching cash flow (1/2)
- Watching cash flow (2/2)
- Using a surplus
- Getting it funded
- Debt or equity? (1/2)
- Debt or equity? (2/2)
- What’s the deal?
- Putting a price on success
- Does it all hold together?
- Identify risks and improve planning
- It’s normally like this (1/2)
- It’s normally like this (2/2)
- How many coconuts do you need to sell?
- Marginal likelihood of shutting down?
- What you need, when you need it
- Will it pay off? (1/2)
- Will it pay off? (2/2)
- What if?
- The economy
- If the worst comes to the worst …
- Grand finale
Getting it approved
- Pulling it all together
- What readers of the plan will look for
- Those financials again (1/2)
- Those financials again (2/2)
- Final check on the plan
- They don’t know what’s coming to them
- Preparing for the meeting
- At last, the first meeting
- Meeting post-mortems
- Follow up
- Back to the drawing board
- Due diligence
- The contract
- Cash in the bank
Now make it happen
- Time for a break?
- From plan to reality
- A change of focus
- Communicating the plan
- Where do you draw the line?
- Policies, rules and procedures
- Who does what?
- Employee objectives
- How much freedom?
- Financial objectives
- Monitoring other objectives
- Monitoring the world
- Confirming and revising strategy and plans
- Don’t forget the carrots
- And into the next business plan
- Trying to catch the tail
- Appendix A Tetrylus Inc business plan (1/2)
- Appendix A Tetrylus Inc business plan (2/2)
- Index (1/2)
- Index (2/2)
- Title: The Definitive Business Plan, 3rd Edition
- Release date: October 2011
- Publisher(s): Pearson Business
- ISBN: 9780273762898
You might also like
FT Essential Guide to Writing a Business Plan
Whether you seek financial backing or board consent, this book will give you the critical knowledge …
The FT Essential Guide to Writing a Business Plan, 2nd Edition
Whether you seek financial backing or board consent, this bestseller gives you the critical knowledge you …
Marketing For Dummies, 5th Edition
The classic, bestselling marketing guide, updated for the digital era Marketing For Dummies, 5 th Edition …
Brilliant Business Plan
A brilliant business needs a brilliant business plan and this is the book to help you …