Over 200 years, industry has mastered iron, fire, power and energy. Today, electronics shape our everyday objects with the widespread integration of chips; from computers and telephones to keys, games and white goods. Data, software and computation structure our behavior and the organization of our lives. Everything is translated into data: the digit is king.
Consisting of three volumes, The Digital Era explores technical, economic and social phenomena that result from the generalization of the Internet. This second volume discusses the impact of digital technology on the evolution of market relations and the media and examines the reasons why such changes put political economy to the test.
Table of contents
- Note to Reader
- Preface: Assessing Digital Society
- Introduction: Political Economy Under Pressure
PART 1: A Disruptive Economy
- Introduction to Part 1
- 1 Companies: the Great Transformation
2 Media: Innovation, Self-production, Creativity
- User-generated content: scaling up
- Books, authors and communities
- Cinema and video: creation, streaming and parodies
- Do it yourself with music: new creativity?
- Press and information: dialogue with readers or free work?
- Video games: co-innovators?
- Conclusion: creativity, but a limited model
- 3 New Intermediaries: Extra-territorial Platforms
PART 2: New Perspectives
- Introduction to Part 2
- 4 The Collaborative Economy: What Are We Talking About?
- 5 Towards a Post-industrial iconomy
- 6 The Chips Industry: Moore and Rock’s Laws
- 7 Measuring and Compiling Wealth
- Conclusion: Wealthy Nations, Healthy Global Firms
- List of Authors
- Index of Names and Brands
- Index of Notions
- End User License Agreement
- Title: The Digital Era 2
- Release date: May 2019
- Publisher(s): Wiley-ISTE
- ISBN: 9781786301918
You might also like
AWS Certified Solutions Architect Official Study Guide
Validate your AWS skills. This is your opportunity to take the next step in your career …
IoT Fundamentals: Networking Technologies, Protocols, and Use Cases for the Internet of Things
Today, billions of devices are Internet-connected, IoT standards and protocols are stabilizing, and technical professionals must …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Learning Amazon Web Services (AWS): A Hands-On Guide to the Fundamentals of AWS Cloud
The Practical, Foundational Technical Introduction to the World's #1 Cloud Platform Includes access to several hours …