Shooting in the raw format gives digital photographers complete control over every aspect of image quality. The Digital Negative is devoted exclusively to the topic and shows you how to make the most of that control to extract the best-possible raw rendering of your digital negatives and to use Photoshop to achieve the highest quality in your images. In this update of his best-selling book, renowned photographer and author Jeff Schewe outlines a foolproof process for working with these digital negatives and presents his real-world expertise on optimizing raw images. You’ll learn hands-on techniques for exposing and shooting for raw image capture and developing a raw processing workflow, as well as Photoshop techniques for perfecting the master image, converting color to black and white, and processing for panoramic and HDR images. This second edition covers all the major updates and new features in Camera Raw, Lightroom, and Photoshop, such as GPU acceleration, Radial Filters, Pano Merge, and more.
Get the best tone and color from your digital negatives.
Use Lightroom and Camera Raw sharpening controls to maximize image quality.
Produce stunning black and white images.
Learn how to remove people from photos in Photoshop using Smart Objects and Layer Blending.
Use HDR in Camera Raw and Lightroom.
And much more!
Visit the book’s companion website at TheDigitalNegativeBook.com for sample images and more.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Table of Contents
Chapter 1. What is a Digital Negative?
- Dissecting a Digital Negative
- Camera Sensor Types
- Attributes of a Digital Negative
- Raw Versus JPEG
- Photographic Aspects of a Digital Negative
Chapter 2. Adobe Raw Image Processing: An Overview
- The Genesis of Camera Raw
- The Genesis of Lightroom
- The Bridge, Camera Raw, and Photoshop System
- The Lightroom Way
- The Relationship of Camera Raw and Lightroom Versions
- Color Management Between Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop
- DNG File Format and DNG Converter
Chapter 3. Fundamentals of Lightroom and Camera Raw
- Lightroom and Camera Raw Defaults
- Lightroom and Camera Raw Functionality
- The Histogram
- Lightroom and Camera Raw Adjustment Panels
- Lightroom and Camera Raw Tools
Chapter 4. Advanced Raw Processing Using Lightroom or Camera Raw
- Tone Mapping
- Color Correction
- Color to Black-and-White Conversion
- Maximizing Image Detail
Chapter 5. Deploying Photoshop to Perfect Your Digital Negatives
- Getting Images Into Photoshop
- A Typical Edit in Photoshop
- Compositing Multiple Images
- Color to Black and White in Photoshop
- Camera Raw as a Photoshop Filter
- Removing People Via Image Stacking
- Focus Stacking
Chapter 6. Creating an Efficient Workflow
- Workflow Principles
- The Five Workflow Stages
- My Personal Workflows
- How I Organize My Images
- My Digital Imaging Area
- Performance Tuning Your System
- Title: The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop, Second Edition
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780134033402
You might also like
The Pragmatic Programmer: your journey to mastery, 20th Anniversary Edition, 2nd Edition
"One of the most significant books in my life." —Obie Fernandez, Author, The Rails Way "Twenty …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Learn the core concepts and techniques you need to know to take better photos, from choosing …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …