A personal guide for becoming an authentic leader
Whether you are just starting your leadership journey or leading a large organization, The Discover Your True North Fieldbook will help you find your leadership purpose, that internal Compass that provides direction and keeps you oriented—your True North. Through a series of reflective exercises, this Fieldbook helps you become a better leader by learning to be a more authentic one.
This Fieldbook both personalizes and unlocks the central lessons of its companion book, Discover Your True North by Bill George. It shares the most powerful insights that coauthors Nick Craig, Bill George, and Scott Snook have learned from helping more than 10,000 leaders discover and live up to their fullest potential. Each chapter contains potent exercises that help you mine your life story for deep insights and important patterns. As you work your way through these reflections, you will gain a clearer sense of who you are and why you lead—the essence of an authentic leader.
We offer an identity-based approach to leader development. Rather than telling you how to lead, the Fieldbook guides you through an intimate process of personal discovery. By understanding your life story and sharpening your personal narrative, you will discover the unique leader you were meant to be. On the way, you will work through the same lessons taught to MBA students at Harvard Business School, as well as senior executives in many Fortune 100 companies.
The Discover Your True North Fieldbook will help you:
Become more self-aware and self-accepting
Locate that sweet spot at the intersection of your passions and strengths
Identify and lead from your core values when it matters most
Build a robust support team to guide you through difficult times
Discover your leadership purpose, the essence of who you are, your True North
Stay grounded by integrating all aspects of your life
Grow as a global leader
Help others become authentic leaders
To help you actually live your True North, this Fieldbook concludes by offering a rigorous, step-by-step process that generates a customized, behaviorally anchored Personal Leadership Development Plan. This plan not only summarizes and integrates everything you've learned completing this Fieldbook, but does so in a way that supports immediate action and impact. Welcome to your journey toward authentic leadership. Welcome to your True North.
www.DiscoverYourTrueNorth.org to learn more.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Preface: Why an Updated Fieldbook?
- Introduction: Why Authentic Leadership Development?
Part One: Examine Your Leadership Journey
- Chapter 1: Life Story
- Chapter 2: Losing Your Way
- Chapter 3: Crucibles
Part Two: Discover Your Authentic Leadership
- Chapter 4: Develop Your Self-Awareness
- Chapter 5: Practice Your Values
- Chapter 6: Find Your Sweet Spot
- Chapter 7: Build Your Support Team
- Chapter 8: Integrate Your Life
Part Three: Put Your Authentic Leadership into Action
- Chapter 9: The Transformation from I to We
- Chapter 10: Lead with Purpose
- Chapter 11: Empower Others to Lead
- Chapter 12: Become a Global Authentic Leader
- Chapter 13: Create Your Personal Leadership Development Plan
- Appendix A: Ways to Use This Guide
- Appendix B: Form a Leadership Discussion Group
- Appendix C: Course Syllabus for Authentic Leadership Development
- About the Authors
- End User License Agreement
- Title: The Discover Your True North Fieldbook: A Personal Guide to Finding Your Authentic Leadership, 2nd Edition
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9781119103554
You might also like
The Art of Leadership (Audio Book)
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with managers who practice or …
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
You aspire to lead with greater impact. Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader then …
Leading with Strategic Thinking: Four Ways Effective Leaders Gain Insight, Drive Change, and Get Results
Be a more effective leader with strategic thinking Leading with Strategic Thinking reveals what effective leaders …
HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations (HBR Guide Series)
TAKE THE PAIN OUT OF PRESENTATIONS. HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations them