Book descriptionA roadmap to success for tomorrow's leaders
The EQ Leader provides an evidence-based model for exceptional leadership, and a four-pillar roadmap for real-world practice. Data collected from thousands of the world's best leaders—and their subordinates—reveals the keys to success: authenticity, coaching, insight, and innovation. By incorporating these methods into their everyday workflow, these leaders have propelled their teams to heights great enough to highlight the divide between successful and not-so-successful leadership. This book shows you how to put these key factors to work in your own practice, with clear examples and concrete steps for improving skills and competencies. New data from the author's own research into executive functioning describes the neurological aspects of leadership, and a deep look at the leaders of tomorrow delves into the fundamental differences that set them apart—and fuel their achievement.
Leadership is changing, both in look and practice; strictly authoritative approaches are quickly losing ground as today's workers discover the power of collaboration and the importance of interpersonal awareness. This book provides step-by-step guidance for leading from within this space, with evidence-based approaches for success.
- Lead authentically to inspire and motivate others
- Support employee's needs and nurture development
- Communicate with purpose, meaning, and vision
- Foster ingenuity, imagination, and autonomous thinking
An organization's success rests on the backs of its leadership. At all levels, true leadership is about much more than management and task distribution—it's about commitment, collaboration, nurturing talent, developing skills, fostering relationships, and so much more. The EQ Leader integrates the essential factors of successful leadership into a concrete blueprint for the future's leaders.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Chapter 1: Leadership: What Do We Really Know about Leadership?
- Chapter 2: What Have We Learned about Leadership?
Chapter 3: Leadership: Why Emotional Intelligence?
- The Evolution of Intelligences
- What Is IQ?
- What Is Emotional Intelligence?
- How Does the MSCEIT Relate to Leadership?
- The Self-Report of Emotional Intelligence
- Other Models
- Can Self-Reporting Emotional Intelligence Be Valid?
- Self-Report Emotional Intelligence, IQ, Personality, and Work Performance
- Chapter 4: Emotional Contagion
Part I: The Building Blocks of Emotional Intelligence
Chapter 5: Self-Perception: Know Thyself
- Emotional Self-Awareness: Know Your Feelings
- Changing Your Perception of Stress
- Looking at Self-Awareness and Self-Regard
- How Does Self-Regard Relate to Leadership?
- Self-Regard and Toxic Leadership
- Does Leader Self-Perception Relate to Subordinates' Performance?
- Discovering Your Self-Regard
- Emotional Self-Regard: What to Do about It
- Know Thyself—Self-Actualization
- Gauging Self-Actualization
- Chapter 5: Self-Perception: Know Thyself
- Part II: Self-Expression and Leadership
Part III: Interpersonal Abilities and Leadership
Chapter 7: Interpersonal: Creating the Bonds of Trust
- Developing Your Interpersonal Skills
- The Importance of Influence
- What Leaders Need to Know about Empathy
- How Important Is Empathy in a Leader?
- Empathy and Emerging Leaders
- Empathy and Gender
- Empathy around the World
- Empathy: What Can We Do about It?
- Social Responsibility and Work
- What about the Bottom Line?
- Social Responsibility Internationally
- Increasing Your Social Responsibility
- Chapter 7: Interpersonal: Creating the Bonds of Trust
Part IV: Decision Making and Leadership
Chapter 8: Making Better Decisions: Emotionally
- Trusting Your Instincts
- Problem Solving
- The Mood You're In
- The Mood You Create
- How Those “Incidental” Emotions Can Affect You
- The Influence of Positive Emotions
- The Direct Effects of Emotion
- What about the Object of the Decision?
- Making Decisions: Feelings versus Calculations
- How Subjective Are Our Feelings?
- Deciding with Feelings or Logic
- Emotional Decision Making and the Brain
- Making Strategic Business Decisions
- Decision Making and Reality Testing: Which Emotions When?
- Impulse Control and Decision Making
- Chapter 8: Making Better Decisions: Emotionally
- Part V: Stress Management and Leadership
Part VI: The Four Pillars of Successful Leadership
- Chapter 10: The Four Pillars of Successful Leadership: Developing the Model
- Chapter 11: Pillar I: Developing Authenticity
- Chapter 12: Pillar II: Developing Leader Coaches
- Chapter 13: Pillar III: Developing Insight
- Chapter 14: Pillar IV: Developing Innovation
Chapter 15: What 360s Can Tell Us about Leaders and Potential Leaders
- How Can We Better Assess High Potentials or Emerging Leaders?
- How Do Self versus Others Leadership EQ 360 Ratings Compare? Or Do Leaders Overrate Themselves?
- International Trends in Leadership
- How the Countries Ranked
- Emotional Intelligence and the GLOBE Theory
- Leadership Orientations and Emotional Intelligence
- Chapter 16: Entrepreneurial Leadership and EQ
Chapter 17: Some New Things We're Learning about Leadership
- This Chapter
- Neuroscience and Leadership
- How Do We Manage Change?
- How Gen Zers Will Impact the Workplace
- How Does the Servant Leader Model Relate to Emotional Intelligence?
- Leading from the Top: Effective Boards of Directors
- What Can We Learn from Unusual Leaders?
- Using the Four Pillars
- Investing in Improving Leaders' Emotional Intelligence
- A Study Increasing Leaders' Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence Training in Organizations
- About the Author
- End User License Agreement
- Title: The EQ Leader
- Release date: May 2017
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119349006
You might also like
Companies from startups to corporate giants face massive amounts of disruption today. Now more than ever, …
The Agile Developer's Handbook
A pragmatic companion guide to your Agile journey About This Book Make your team Agile by …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …