Understand the Principles of Good Interface and Screen Design
A well-designed interface and screen
- Reflects the capabilities, needs, and tasks of its users.
- Is developed within the physical constraints imposed by the hardware on which it is displayed.
- Utilizes the capabilities of its controlling software effectively.
- Achieves the business objectives of the system for which it is designed.
To accomplish these goals, the designer must first understand the principles of good interface and screen design. What follows is an extensive compilation of general screen design guidelines for the user interface. It includes a detailed series of guide-lines dealing with user considerations, including
- A test for a good design.
- Organizing screen elements.
- Screen navigation and flow.
- Visually pleasing composition.
- Keying procedures.
- Data output.
- Web sites and Web pages.
- Statistical graphics.
- Technological considerations.
The step concludes with considerations imposed by a system's hardware and software.
Human Considerations in Interface and Screen Design
Use of a screen or Web page, and a system, is affected by many factors. These include how much information is presented, how the information is organized, what language is used to communicate to the user, how distinctly the components are displayed, what aesthetics are used, and how consistent a screen or page is with other screens or pages. First, let's look at what aspects of poor design can be distracting to the user, ...