“The process of laying out a warehouse is a lot like putting a puzzle together. Like a puzzle, it is difficult to complete until all the pieces have been defined and assembled.”
—Edward H. Frazelle, World-Class Warehousing and Material Handling (2002)
After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
• Understand the basic principles of warehouse management.
• Comprehend the different types and roles of warehouses.
• Grasp the emerging warehousing trends and their impact on the new roles of warehouses.
• Identify the components of warehousing costs.
• Design an optimal warehouse network within the supply chain.
• Design an optimal warehouse layout in such a way that it minimizes costs and maximizes space ...