Book descriptionIn The Filmmaker's Necronomicon, or book of the dead, award-winning director Danny Draven unlocks the crypt and shows you how to translate your idea into a successful movie that gives your audience nightmares. Budget need not be a limitation: the real-world advice and experience from the author--plus a host of horror directors, producers, writers, cast, and crew--offer a variety of tips, short-cuts, and ideas for producing a quality movie on the cheap.
It all starts with the story. You'll learn the storytelling elements that make a horror movie truly frightening to the audience, then master the process of making a horror film from concept to completion, avoiding the pitfalls along the way. This full-color, highly illustrated book also shows you the production techniques that add to the chill factor, including camera techniques, properly showcasing your star (the monster), creating atmosphere through music, adding tension through editing, and more.
Distribution and marketing are covered in depth, so you can get your movie out there once you've made it.
The book includes access to over an hour of video. Get inspiration and ideas from:
* A 20 Minute behind-the scenes featurette from Danny Draven's new 2009 award winning film GHOST MONTH, coming soon from Lions Gate Entertainment.
* A 10-minute behind-the-scenes featurette from Danny Draven's film CRYPTZ
* A 10-minute behind-the-scenes featurette from Danny Draven's film DEATHBED
* A 10-minute behind-the-scenes featurette from Danny Draven's film DARKWALKER
* The Danny Draven Trailer Reel -- Trailers for all 6 feature films
* Horror Script Samples (PDF files) -- Ghost Month and Cryptz
Table of contents
- PART ONE • THE HORROR GENRE
- PART TWO • PREPRODUCTION
- PART THREE • PRODUCTION
- PART FOUR • POSTPRODUCTION
- PART FIVE • DISTRIBUTION AND MARKETING
- Title: The Filmmaker's Book of the Dead
- Release date: November 2012
- Publisher(s): Focal Press
- ISBN: 9781136057571
You might also like
Introduction to Python
Intrigued by Python? Learn how to get started with this popular language, whether you’re new to …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Programming Rust, 2nd Edition
The Rust programming language offers the rare and valuable combination of statically verified memory safety and …
Kafka: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
Every enterprise application creates data, whether it consists of log messages, metrics, user activity, outgoing messages, …