Setting a strategy
What you will learn in this chapter
- How to identify what a strategy is and importantly what it isn’t
- How to set a strategy for your business area
- Tips for refining and improving your strategy
- How to use tools to help you set better strategies
- How to check whether your strategy is right – using stories
What is strategy?
Strategy is one of the most scary and misunderstood words in the management lexicon. People use it to confuse, threaten, condemn and otherwise torture their colleagues. It’s often used as a prelude for much complicated analysis and reams of PowerPoint slides and binders labelled ‘strictly confidential’. The truth is, strategy is a set of simple choices, and relevant, interrelated and prioritised activities ...