Design and production considerations change throughout any product's lifecycle—from prototype to market introduction, through growth and maturity, and finally into decline—with each stage introducing its own set of challenges. But emerging technologies such as 3D printing, robotics, and the IoT are disrupting every stage of this lifecycle as they reinvigorate existing categories and create entirely new ones.
In this report, Jonathan Follett from Involution Studios examines from a designer's perspective the ways emerging technologies are affecting the product lifecycle, and explores various options for companies looking at new ways of approaching product design and development.
Today, not only must companies contend with the difficulties of introducing emerging tech into their product portfolio, they must also negotiate a labyrinth of complex factors, as the product design and development cycle itself is remade by these new technologies as well. This report will help you to understand and navigate this new world of product design.
Table of contents
1. The Future of Product Design
- A Product Design Renaissance
- The Evolution of Product Design
- Part 1. Hello, Market!
Part 2. Growth and the Difficulties of Production in Volume
- A Tale from the Trenches: Technical Machine and the Prototype-to-Production Problem
- A Tale from the Trenches: Dragon Innovation and the Challenge of Going from One to Many
- The Request-for-Quote process
- David meets Goliath: Achieving Innovation Speed for Enterprise Companies
- Risk Taking and the Enterprise
- Small Pilots
- Developing Infrastructure
- Part 3. Product as Dialogue
- Part 4. Design for End-of-Life
- Companies, Products, and Links
- Title: The Future of Product Design
- Release date: May 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491928165
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Product Design vs. Design Thinking
Product design tends to jump between business thinking and creative thinking, but design thinking blends them …
What Is Domain-Driven Design?
The majority of software projects are delivered late or over budget, or they fail to meet …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …