Book DescriptionOutstanding Book of the Year gold medalist and “Most Likely to Save the Planet” from the Independent Book Publisher Awards.
Tom Szaky sets out to do the impossible – eliminate all waste. This book paints a future of a “circular economy” that relies on responsible reuse and recycling to propel the world towards eradicating overconsumption and waste.
Only 35 percent of the 240 million metric tons of waste generated in the United States alone gets recycled, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. This extraordinary collection shows how manufacturers can move from a one-way take-make-waste economy that is burying the world in waste to a circular, make-use-recycle economy.
Steered by Tom Szaky, recycling pioneer, eco-capitalist, and founder and CEO of TerraCycle, each chapter is coauthored by an expert in his or her field. From the distinct perspectives of government leaders, consumer packaged goods companies, waste management firms, and more, the book explores current issues of production and consumption, practical steps for improving packaging and reducing waste today, and big ideas and concepts that can be carried forward.
Intended to help every business from a small start-up to a large established consumer product company, this book serves as a source of knowledge and inspiration. The message from these pioneers is not to scale back but to innovate upward. They offer nothing less than a guide to designing ourselves out of waste and into abundance.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction From Linear to Circular
- Chapter 1 Plastic, Packaging, and the Linear Economy
- Chapter 2 Where Did Public Recycling Come From, and Where Is It Going?
- Chapter 3 The State of the Recycling Industry
- Chapter 4 Who Is Responsible for Recycling Packaging?
- Chapter 5 Recycled versus Recyclable
- Chapter 6 Designing Packaging for the Simple Recycler: How MRFs Work
- Chapter 7 The Myth of Biodegradability
- Chapter 8 Less Isn’t Always More
- Chapter 9 But More Isn’t Always Better
- Chapter 10 The Forgotten Ones: Pre-consumer Waste
- Chapter 11 Consumers Care
- Chapter 12 Designing for the New Consumer: Abundance without Waste
- Chapter 13 Changing the Paradigm to Enable and Inspire Responsible Consumption
- Chapter 14 Value for Business in the Circular Economy
- Chapter 15 The Future of Packaging
- About the Author
- About TerraCycle
- Title: The Future of Packaging
- Release date: February 2019
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781523095520