He Speaks, She Speaks
What Different Things They Say
When I talk about women’s and men’s characteristic ways of speaking, I always emphasize that both styles make sense and are equally valid in themselves.
—Deborah Tannen (1994, p. 23)
- Distinguish between popular myths and the reality of sex differences in speech style.
- Identify examples of women’s polite forms of speech.
- Identify examples of men’s task-oriented forms of speech.
- Examine the underpinnings of gender linguistic styles.
- Create the awareness that one style is not preferred over another style.
- Identify strategies, such as an androgynous approach or code switching, to enhance speech communication between the sexes.
We know women and men are ...