Trust, Pride and Camaraderie-transform your company into a "Great place to Work"
The Great Place to Work Institute develops the annual ranking of the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For. In this book, the authors explore the model of a Great Place to Work For-one which fosters employee trust, pride in what they do, and enjoyment in the people they work with. They answer the fundamental question, "What is the business value of creating a great workplace?" and brings the definition of a Great Place to work alive with anecdotes, best practices, and quotes from employees working at the best workplaces in the U.S.
Reveals the essential ingredients in and the trends of the best places to work
Explores Great Place to Work model developed in 1984 and validated through its enduring resonance in both the United States and in over 40 countries around the world
Written by Michael Burchell and Jennifer Robin two Great Place to Work Institute Insiders
If you organization is struggling with the challenges of leveraging human capital, discover why some companies have what it takes to be great.
Table of contents
1. INTRODUCTION: THE VALUE OF CREATING GREAT WORKPLACES
- 1.1. THE KNOWLEDGE BASE
- 1.2. THE THREE RELATIONSHIPS
- 1.3. THE ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
- 1.4. BEGINNING THE JOURNEY
- 2.1. TWO-WAY COMMUNICATION
- 2.2. COMPETENCE
- 2.3. INTEGRITY
- 2.4. LEADER IMPERATIVES
- 2.5. CREDIBILITY BEHAVIORAL CHECKLIST
- 3.1. SUPPORT
- 3.2. COLLABORATING WITH EMPLOYEES
- 3.3. CARING FOR EMPLOYEES
- 3.4. LEADER IMPERATIVES
- 3.5. RESPECT BEHAVIORAL CHECKLIST
- 4.1. EQUITY
- 4.2. IMPARTIALITY
- 4.3. JUSTICE
- 4.4. LEADER IMPERATIVES
- 4.5. FAIRNESS BEHAVIORAL CHECKLIST
- 5.1. PERSONAL PRIDE IN ONE'S JOB
- 5.2. PRIDE IN THE TEAM
- 5.3. PRIDE IN THE COMPANY
- 5.4. LEADER IMPERATIVES
- 5.5. PRIDE BEHAVIORAL CHECKLIST
- 6. CAMARADERIE
7. GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES
- 7.1. ARE THE BUSINESS BENEFITS OF THE MODEL THE SAME ACROSS THE WORLD?
- 7.2. HOW DO YOU CREATE A CONSISTENT CULTURE ACROSS A MULTINATIONAL COMPANY?
- 7.3. NEITHER MY COUNTRY NOR MY COMPANY IS VERY BIG. IS IT STILL POSSIBLE TO CREATE A GREAT WORKPLACE, AND IF SO, HOW?
- 7.4. HOW CAN I ADDRESS CULTURAL DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION?
- 7.5. I'VE LIKED HEARING WHAT COMPANIES HAVE DONE TO INCORPORATE THE MODEL, BUT I'M CONCERNED THE SAME THINGS WON'T WORK IN MY COUNTRY OR IN SOME OF THE COUNTRIES WHERE MY BUSINESS HAS OFFICES.
- 7.6. LEADERSHIP IMPERATIVES AND NEXT STEPS
- 8. TAKING ACTION: CREATING YOUR GREAT WORKPLACE
- REFERENCES AND RESOURCES
- ABOUT THE AUTHORS
- Title: The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why it Matters
- Release date: January 2011
- Publisher(s): Jossey-Bass
- ISBN: 9780470596265
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Hot Text: Web Writing That Works
Attention, Web writers! This book will show you how to craft prose that grabs your guests' …
You work in a loop: write code, get feedback, iterate. The faster you get feedback, the …
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …