Book descriptionAre meetings taking over your life? You're not alone. Meet Iris, a sales director so overwhelmed by meetings that she feels like a hamster on a wheel—in fact, she's turned into one. Just in time, she meets a coach—a leading meeting efficiency expert—with a simple system that helps her regain her sanity and humanity.
The coach's secret is a laser-like focus on the five biggest meeting pain points:
1. Meeting overload: Professionals waste twenty-four days a year in useless meetings.
2. Missing success ingredients: ninety percent of all professionals attend meetings that lack a clearly stated objective and agenda.
3. Virtual-meeting chaos: Disinterested participants + endless technical glitches huge amounts of wasted time.
4. Agenda adrift: Goals are missed when meetings veer off course.
5. Action distraction: Incomplete action items result in delayed projects and missed deadlines.
The coach demonstrates that these five challenges are damaging Iris's career and costing the world over a trillion dollars each year. He provides practical new solutions that rapidly transform Iris from victim to victor. These solutions are tailored to the technology-driven world in which Iris lives—she discovers how to use e-calendars, PDAs, and virtual meetings to make her life easier, not more complicated. She applies the solutions, gets immediate results, and reclaims her life. The Hamster Revolution for Meetings focuses on a small number of high-impact best practices that really work. Included is a landmark case study that shows how 3,000 Capital One associates reclaimed ten days per year while improving meeting effectiveness by over 35 percent.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- More Praise for The Hamster Revolution for Meetings
- Foreword Ken Blanchard
- 1 STUCK!
- 2 LIFTOFF
- 3 THE BIG FIVE
- 4 WHERE DID MY LIFE GO?
- 5 THE ART OF MEETING LESS
- 6 YOU’RE DRAFTED
- 7 IRIS CHECKS IN
- 8 VIRTUAL MEETING MAGIC
- 9 A SLOW-MOTION TRAIN WRECK
- 10 BECOMING A VIRTUAL MEETING VIRTUOSO
- 11 STAYING THE COURSE
- 12 THE MEETING ACTION PLAN
- 13 PENNY’S VERDICT
- EPILOGUE WE MEET AGAIN
- RESOURCES FAST ANSWERS FOR BUSY HAMSTERS
- RESOURCES CASE STUDY: CAPITAL ONE’S MEETING REVOLUTION
- About the Authors
- SERVICES AVAILABLE
- About Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- Be Connected
- Title: The Hamster Revolution for Meetings
- Release date: June 2009
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781605090085
You might also like
Making Work Visible
"""In this timely book (title not final) by Information Technology time management expert Dominica DeGrandis, the …
Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work and Align Leadership for Organizational Transformation
The first of its kind—a Value Stream Mapping book written for those in service and office …
Faster, Fewer, Better Emails
Business communication expert and bestselling author Dianna Booher shares practical wisdom on how to write effective …
Tell Me About Yourself
Own Your Story Sometimes you get only one chance. A good introduction can create connections and …