Change isn’t going anywhere. Learn how to manage it.
We live in a wild world of volatility, unpredictability, chaos, and ambiguity, with change seemingly as the only constant. Change can be difficult. It often induces resistance, panic, and fatigue. And, as you may expect or have experienced first-hand, many organizations aren’t handling change all that well, with many efforts resulting in failure. What you may not realize, however, is that some workplace change initiatives are stunning successes, rolling out smoothly and more easily embraced. Why do some change initiatives fail while others succeed? How can organizations and employees handle change better?
In The Hard and Soft Sides of Change Management, Kathryn Zukof offers practices and approaches to help you and your organization roll out, receive, and manage change effectively. Namely, Zukof shows that you need to manage the process (or the “hard”) side and the people (or the “soft”) side of change and find the sweet spot between the two. She demonstrates that when you integrate both sides, you and your organization can make change less of a hit-or-miss affair. Successful change management means deploying sound project management techniques that increase the odds of achieving the outcomes of your change initiative. It also means helping employees understand the need and vision for change, so they feel less threatened by it and become excited and energized by what’s ahead.
To deliver best results, you need to:
- Define the change and how to get there—with project charters and plans.
- Involve the right people in the right ways—from dedicated change teams to affected stakeholders.
- Build support, understanding, and awareness—with communication, training, and resistance management plans.
- Assess progress and adjust along the way—through action reviews and steps to tackle thorny issues.
Capturing the inherently messy nature of workplace change—from technology implementations, mergers and acquisitions, and business transformations to office relocations and more—this book offers tangible insights to help you and your organization tackle change challenges. Follow the book’s tools and practices to lessen the messy and objectionable parts of change and actively give your change initiatives the best chance for positive outcomes.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Section 1. Defining What’s Changing and the Path to Get There
- Section 2. Involving the Right People in the Right Way
- Section 3. Building Awareness, Understanding, and Support
- Section 4. Assessing Progress and Making Adjustments
- Chapter 18. And Then Everything Changed
- About the Author
- Back Cover
- Title: The Hard and Soft Sides of Change Management
- Release date: March 2021
- Publisher(s): Association for Talent Development
- ISBN: 9781950496877
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
The DevOps Handbook
Increase profitability, elevate work culture, and exceed productivity goals through DevOps practices.