Welcome to the global reality race. In this chapter we start the adventure by questioning the typical assumptions about innovation and proposing the need for a new paradigm that will propel us forward into the future.
This chapter will help you to:
- examine the concept of the ‘innovation race’ and the impact on individuals and organisations
- identify how strategic your innovation focus is
- explore the need for a clear sense of purpose and connected process in innovation
- consider the benefits of proactive and sustainable innovation
- appreciate the importance of purpose-driven innovation for greater social responsibility and environmental sustainability
- understand the elements of transformational innovation.
Key challenge: How to prepare for the purpose-driven innovation process
Back in 1985, when hairstyles were boofy and TV was serious business, a television camera zoomed in on a veteran Australian journalist as he stood in the middle of the brutally hot North Australian desert. On one side of him stood a team of highly trained SAS soldiers (an elite military special operations force) in full combat gear. On the other side was a group of traditionally (lightly) dressed Australian Aboriginals. The challenge was for the two teams to race against each other to a set destination. TV cameras would follow each team every step of the way, the winners demonstrating their superior ...