Like throwing jelly at a wall, poor communication never sticks.
Too much information and not enough relevance is a problem that pervades almost all business communication. So what's the answer? More relevance and a lot less jelly.
The Jelly Effect teaches you simple, memorable and costless ways to win more attention and more business. Imagine how effective you'd be if you communicated only what was relevant 100 percent of the time. You would be better at talking to others, presenting, networking and selling. You would excel in interviews, meetings and pay-rise discussions. The benefits would be endless.
The Jelly Effect will show you how to get the best out of any situation, whether you're speaking to an individual or a group, formally or informally, inside or outside your organisation. By the time you close the final page of this book, you will be armed with practical, proven techniques that will help you be more effective in all your business dealings.
"Andy Bounds taught me more about effective presenting than a lady who'd previously taught two US presidents."
Table of contents
- Who am I to tell you how to communicate?
- 1. The best way for you to read this book
- 2. Why 'the Jelly Effect'?
- 3. The AFTERs
- 4.1. WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT ... IT'S JUST LIKE BUYING JEWELLERY
- 4.2. THE TWO BIGGEST PROBLEMS WITH NETWORKING
4.3. NETWORKING – IT'S ALL A QUESTION OF FISH AND COFFEE
- 4.3.1. Working a room
- 4.3.2. Following up
- 4.3.3. Who are your Big Fish?
- 4.3.4. Why you're already good at networking
4.4. HOW TO GET THE MOST VALUE OUT OF A NETWORKING EVENT
- 4.4.1. Before the event
4.4.2. Things not to take
- 126.96.36.199. Things to get sorted in your mind
- 188.8.131.52. During the event
- 184.108.40.206. Knowing who to approach
- 220.127.116.11. Knowing what to say
- 18.104.22.168. Step 2 – Talk about them
- 4.4.3. Step 3 – Talk about you
- 4.4.4. If in doubt
- 4.4.5. Bringing it all together
- 4.4.6. After the event
- 4.4.7. Build relationships
- 4.4.8. Some quick, random thoughts to improve your networking ...
- 4.4.9. How long should you spend with each person?
- 4.4.10. When should you arrive at an event?
- 4.4.11. Copy from the best
- 4.4.12. What should you wear?
- 4.4.13. How drunk can you get?
- 4.4.14. Handling your nerves
- 4.5. ENSURING YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT ROOM
- 4.6. SO, WHAT NOW?
5. How to sell more
- 5.1. JELLY SELLING (BAD IDEA)
- 5.2. AFTERS-BASED SELLING (SUPERB IDEA)
- 5.3. MY ABC METHOD: HOW TO USE YOUR AFTERS TO SELL MORE
- 5.4. TWO FURTHER BENEFITS OF THE AFTERS – BASED APPROACH
- 5.5. THE GOLDEN RULE OF SELLING
- 6.1. FINDING YOUR FIRST LOVE
- 6.2. THE SIMPLEST WAY TO WIN BUSINESS
- 6.3. GETTING THE 'REFERRAL FOUNDATIONS' RIGHT
6.4. HOW TO GET MORE REFERRALS
- 6.4.1. Step 1 – Never underestimate their power
- 6.4.2. Step 2 – Pre-prep you must do
- 6.4.3. Required information 2: the AFTERs for each of your big fish
- 6.4.4. Step 3 – Who to ask for referrals
- 6.4.5. Step 4 – Jelly-free scripts that get referrals
- 6.4.6. Step 5 – Ensuring you get referrals in the long term
- 7.1. HOW TO AVOID JELLYING YOUR AUDIENCE
7.2. LAYOUT OF THIS CHAPTER
- 7.2.1. Before – how to prepare content that will get results (RAP Method™)
- 7.2.2. Step A–What objective do you want to achieve afterwards? (draft one)
- 7.2.3. Step B – Expand on step A's objective, using questioning words
- 7.2.4. Step D – List all the points that could help you achieve step C's objective
- 7.2.5. Step E – Prepare your 15 seconds
- 7.2.6. Step F – Transition Zone
- 7.2.7. Step G – Prepare your RAP Reminder Card™
- 7.2.8. EMPATHY: the secret to captivating audiences
- 7.2.9. During – delivery skills to impress your audience
- 7.2.10. After – how to follow up your presentation, to ensure you get great results
- 7.2.11. How to use this section to create presentations that work
- 8. Avoiding 'the Green Corridor of Doom'
- And if you want more help ...
- About the author
- Title: The Jelly Effect: How to make your communication stick
- Release date: September 2010
- Publisher(s): Capstone
- ISBN: 9780857080462
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
Product Description Presentations are meant to inform, inspire, and persuade audiences. So why then do so …