What is mentoring? And what is it not?
I worked with Laurence Olivier some years ago. He was a great mentor.
Anthony Hopkins, actor
In this chapter:
- Gain a clearer sense of what a mentor is.
- Learn how mentoring is distinct from any other support relationship.
- Consider examples of mentors from stories and real life to support your understanding of the role.
- Discover the typical benefits of mentoring, both for individuals and for organisations.
- Understand when mentoring might not be the best option for a situation.
What is a mentor?
A mentor is someone who takes on the role of a trusted adviser, supporter, teacher and wise counsel to another person. A mentor adopts a primarily selfless role in supporting the learning, development and ...