The Classic Guide to Business Communications . . . Updated for a New Generation of Media-Savvy Leaders
Even with the latest high-tech tools and communication options, the simple truth is this: You need to look, act, and sound like a leader to succeed in today's world. According to top executive coach Granville Toogood, “Wonderful things happen when people talk face-to- face." His proven secrets of professional speaking give you the power and confidence to command any audience--in any situation—and get results.
"An indispensable tool for executive success." -- Zbigniew Brzezinski, Robert E. Osgood Professor of American foreign policy at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies
"Granville Toogood is a brilliant communicator and teacher who has made world-class communicators out of our people." -- Michael Koffler, Chairman, Young President’s Organization
"The beauty of Granville Toogood's method is how simple it is to implement." -- Scudder Fowler, CEO, The Liminal Group
"Granville Toogood is a transformational teacher and coach. His new book is a must read for anyone hoping to effectively engage an audience or lead organizations." -- Sean Geehan, President, The Geehan Group
"Makes the capable business person more capable, more successful, and definitely more confident." -- Martha Stewart
Corporate coach Granville Toogood has trained some of the biggest names in business today--including 38 top executives in the Fortune 50--and his bestselling book, The Articulate Executive, has become the gold standard when it comes to public speaking and corporate communications.
This all-new edition provides you with the most powerful speaking tools and techniques from Toogood's acclaimed workshops--so you can look, act, and sound like a leader in any situation.
Using his proven step-by-step system, you can:
- Position yourself as a leader in your industry.
- Command any venue and compel any audience.
- Use the "8-second rule" to make a strong first impression.
- Speak with the confidence of a CEO.
- Outperform in any presentation.
Whether you are giving a speech, making a presentation, conducting a meeting, or simply talking one-on-one, these tried-and-true communication techniques are guaranteed to help you step up your game and speak like a pro.
The book is filled with easy-to-use checklists and essential tips to help you organize your thoughts and deliver your message--with confidence, style, and great success. In addition, you'll learn how to master high-tech tools such as PowerPoint and deck presentations, how to deal with Q&A sessions and media interviews, and how to write winning corporate communications that really do the job.
Remember: In today's competitive market nothing is more important than how you present yourself and your company--and no book is more informative and powerful at this--than Granville Toogood's The New Articulate Executive.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- The New Articulate Executive
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Where Are We?
- Everything You Need to Know About Public Speaking
- PART ONE THE SPEAKING GAME
- PART TWO CREATING THE PERFECT PRESENTATION
PART THREE DELIVERY
- 14 The 18-Minute Wall: Audience Attention Span
- 15 How to Capture Your Audience
- 16 The PowerPoint Paradox: Designing Visual Aids to Work for You—Never Against You
- 17 How to Make a Powerful Deck Presentation: Going by the Book
- 18 Write Like You Speak: Ten Important Rules to Live By
- 19 The Six Most Common Language Mistakes
- 20 How to Beat Fear
- 21 Keep the Momentum Going
- 22 The Power of Silence
- 23 Body Language
- 24 How to Dress
- 25 How to Read a Prepared Text Like a Pro (and Not Look Like You’re Reading)
- 26 How to Use Teleprompters
- 27 Taking a Cue from Stage Monitors
- PART FOUR AFTER THE SPEECH AND MANAGING THE MEDIA
- Test Your New Articulate Executive IQ
- Title: The New Articulate Executive: Look, Act and Sound Like a Leader, 2nd Edition
- Release date: June 2010
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071745918