The Classic Guide to Business Communications . . . Updated for a New Generation of Media-Savvy Leaders
Even with the latest high-tech tools and communication options, the simple truth is this: You need to look, act, and sound like a leader to succeed in today's world. According to top executive coach Granville Toogood, “Wonderful things happen when people talk face-to- face." His proven secrets of professional speaking give you the power and confidence to command any audience--in any situation—and get results.
"An indispensable tool for executive success." -- Zbigniew Brzezinski, Robert E. Osgood Professor of American foreign policy at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies
"Granville Toogood is a brilliant communicator and teacher who has made world-class communicators out of our people." -- Michael Koffler, Chairman, Young President’s Organization
"The beauty of Granville Toogood's method is how simple it is to implement." -- Scudder Fowler, CEO, The Liminal Group
"Granville Toogood is a transformational teacher and coach. His new book is a must read for anyone hoping to effectively engage an audience or lead organizations." -- Sean Geehan, President, The Geehan Group
"Makes the capable business person more capable, more successful, and definitely more confident." -- Martha Stewart
Corporate coach Granville Toogood has trained some of the biggest names in business today--including 38 top executives in the Fortune 50--and his bestselling book, The Articulate Executive, has become the gold standard when it comes to public speaking and corporate communications.
This all-new edition provides you with the most powerful speaking tools and techniques from Toogood's acclaimed workshops--so you can look, act, and sound like a leader in any situation.
Using his proven step-by-step system, you can:
- Position yourself as a leader in your industry.
- Command any venue and compel any audience.
- Use the "8-second rule" to make a strong first impression.
- Speak with the confidence of a CEO.
- Outperform in any presentation.
Whether you are giving a speech, making a presentation, conducting a meeting, or simply talking one-on-one, these tried-and-true communication techniques are guaranteed to help you step up your game and speak like a pro.
The book is filled with easy-to-use checklists and essential tips to help you organize your thoughts and deliver your message--with confidence, style, and great success. In addition, you'll learn how to master high-tech tools such as PowerPoint and deck presentations, how to deal with Q&A sessions and media interviews, and how to write winning corporate communications that really do the job.
Remember: In today's competitive market nothing is more important than how you present yourself and your company--and no book is more informative and powerful at this--than Granville Toogood's The New Articulate Executive.
Table of contents
- Introduction: Where Are We?
- Everything You Need to Know About Public Speaking
- The Speaking Game
Creating the Perfect Presentation
- Get It Together
- Designing the Perfect Presentation: The POWER Formula
- The Strong Start
- Forging a Powerful Message
- Talking with Pictures
- The Conversational Approach
- The Strong Finish
- Getting the Message Across
- The 18-Minute Wall: Audience Attention Span
- How to Capture Your Audience
- The Powerpoint Paradox: Designing Visual Aids to Work for You—Never Against You
- How to Make a Powerful Deck Presentation: Going by the Book
- Write Like You Speak: Ten Important Rules to Live By
- The Six Most Common Language Mistakes
- How to Beat Fear
- Keep the Momentum Going
- The Power of Silence
- Body Language
- How to Dress
- How to Read a Prepared Text Like a Pro: (and Not Look Like You’re Reading)
- How to Use Teleprompters
- Taking a Cue from Stage Monitors
- After the Speech and Managing the Media
- Test Your New Articulate Executive IQ
- About the Author
- Title: The New Articulate Executive: Look, Act and Sound Like a Leader, 2nd Edition
- Release date: June 2010
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071745918
You might also like
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with managers who practice or …
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
The Communication Habit: Strategies That Set You Apart and Leave a Lasting Impression
Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, …
Executive Presence, Second Edition: The Art of Commanding Respect Like a CEO, 2nd Edition
Be the kind of leader that other leaders envy by strategically harnessing the extraordinary power of …