The Classic Guide to Business Communications . . . Updated for a New Generation of Media-Savvy Leaders
Even with the latest high-tech tools and communication options, the simple truth is this: You need to look, act, and sound like a leader to succeed in today's world. According to top executive coach Granville Toogood, “Wonderful things happen when people talk face-to- face." His proven secrets of professional speaking give you the power and confidence to command any audience--in any situation—and get results.
"An indispensable tool for executive success." -- Zbigniew Brzezinski, Robert E. Osgood Professor of American foreign policy at Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies
"Granville Toogood is a brilliant communicator and teacher who has made world-class communicators out of our people." -- Michael Koffler, Chairman, Young President’s Organization
"The beauty of Granville Toogood's method is how simple it is to implement." -- Scudder Fowler, CEO, The Liminal Group
"Granville Toogood is a transformational teacher and coach. His new book is a must read for anyone hoping to effectively engage an audience or lead organizations." -- Sean Geehan, President, The Geehan Group
"Makes the capable business person more capable, more successful, and definitely more confident." -- Martha Stewart
Corporate coach Granville Toogood has trained some of the biggest names in business today--including 38 top executives in the Fortune 50--and his bestselling book, The Articulate Executive, has become the gold standard when it comes to public speaking and corporate communications.
This all-new edition provides you with the most powerful speaking tools and techniques from Toogood's acclaimed workshops--so you can look, act, and sound like a leader in any situation.
Using his proven step-by-step system, you can:
- Position yourself as a leader in your industry.
- Command any venue and compel any audience.
- Use the "8-second rule" to make a strong first impression.
- Speak with the confidence of a CEO.
- Outperform in any presentation.
Whether you are giving a speech, making a presentation, conducting a meeting, or simply talking one-on-one, these tried-and-true communication techniques are guaranteed to help you step up your game and speak like a pro.
The book is filled with easy-to-use checklists and essential tips to help you organize your thoughts and deliver your message--with confidence, style, and great success. In addition, you'll learn how to master high-tech tools such as PowerPoint and deck presentations, how to deal with Q&A sessions and media interviews, and how to write winning corporate communications that really do the job.
Remember: In today's competitive market nothing is more important than how you present yourself and your company--and no book is more informative and powerful at this--than Granville Toogood's The New Articulate Executive.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- The New Articulate Executive
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Where Are We?
- Everything You Need to Know About Public Speaking
- PART ONE THE SPEAKING GAME
- PART TWO CREATING THE PERFECT PRESENTATION
PART THREE DELIVERY
- 14 The 18-Minute Wall: Audience Attention Span
- 15 How to Capture Your Audience
- 16 The PowerPoint Paradox: Designing Visual Aids to Work for You—Never Against You
- 17 How to Make a Powerful Deck Presentation: Going by the Book
- 18 Write Like You Speak: Ten Important Rules to Live By
- 19 The Six Most Common Language Mistakes
- 20 How to Beat Fear
- 21 Keep the Momentum Going
- 22 The Power of Silence
- 23 Body Language
- 24 How to Dress
- 25 How to Read a Prepared Text Like a Pro (and Not Look Like You’re Reading)
- 26 How to Use Teleprompters
- 27 Taking a Cue from Stage Monitors
- PART FOUR AFTER THE SPEECH AND MANAGING THE MEDIA
- Test Your New Articulate Executive IQ
- Title: The New Articulate Executive: Look, Act and Sound Like a Leader, 2nd Edition
- Release date: June 2010
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071745918
You might also like
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Teams (with featured article “The Discipline of Teams,” by Jon R. Katzenbach and Douglas K. Smith)
NEW from the bestselling HBR’s 10 Must Reads series. Most teams underperform. Yours can beat the …
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Emotional Intelligence (with featured article "What Makes a Leader?" by Daniel Goleman)(HBR's 10 Must Reads)
In his defining work on emotional intelligence, bestselling author Daniel Goleman found that it is twice …
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
Thinkers 50: Future Thinkers: New Thinking on Leadership, Strategy and Innovation for the 21st Century
The World's Leading Business Minds on Today's Most Critical Challenges The most innovative ideas from the …