The completely revised and updated "bible" of new product development: The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development, Second Edition.
The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development, Second Edition provides a comprehensive, updated picture of what you as a manager need to know for effective new product development. The book's concise, map-like detail acts as a compass, offering practical information pertaining to every stage of the product development process -- from idea generation to launch to the end of the life cycle.
Whether you're a novice or an expert, this edition is ideal as it provides both fundamentals and reliable information on advanced and emerging concepts such as accelerated product development, new product development globalization and benchmarking, and Web-based concept development.
Table of contents
BEFORE YOU GET STARTED
- NEW PRODUCTS—WHAT SEPARATES THE WINNERS FROM THE LOSERS AND WHAT DRIVES SUCCESS
- A NEW PRODUCT'S DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY: FORMULATION AND IMPLEMENTATION
- NEW PRODUCT PORTFOLIO PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT
IMPLEMENTING PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- A Closer View of Implementation Issues
- What Is Implemented
- Process Is Business Entity Specific
- Acceptance Precedes Process Use
- Potential Impediments to Full Implementation
- Change: From Current to Desired NPD Process
- Beginnings: Analyze the Old and Envision the New
- Participative Design Leads to Acceptance and Usage
- Designing Improvement Into the Process
- Process Ownership
- PROCESS OWNERSHIP
- THE FUZZY FRONT END FOR INCREMENTAL, PLATFORM, AND BREAKTHROUGH PRODUCTS
- SERVICE DEVELOPMENT
ORGANIZING THE DEVELOPMENT
- INNOVATION IN LARGE COMPANIES: APPROACHES AND ORGANIZATIONAL ARCHITECTURE
- MANAGING PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROJECT TEAMS
- INFLUENCE AND POLITICS IN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- DISTRIBUTED NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (DNPD)
- ACCELERATED PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT: TECHNIQUES AND TRAPS
- MARKET ANALYSIS AND SEGMENTATION FOR NEW PRODUCTS
- OBTAINING CUSTOMER1 NEEDS FOR PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- CONTEXTUAL RESEARCH FOR NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- INTERACTING WITH CUSTOMERS IN THE NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT PROCESS
- GETTING LIGHTNING TO STRIKE: IDEATION AND CONCEPT GENERATION
QUANTITATIVE MARKET RESEARCH
- The Quantitative Market Research Process
- Questions Quantitative Market Research Can Answer
- Segmentation: "Which Customers Should We Target?"
- Perceptual Mapping: "What Do Customers Think of Current Products?"
- Kano Method: "What Customer Needs Should We Target for New Product Ideas?"
- Needs-Ranking: "What Customer Needs Should We Target for New Product Ideas?"
- Concept Testing: "Which of Our Raw Ideas are the Most Promising to Pursue?"
- Conjoint Analysis: "What Is the Optimal Mix of Features and Price?"
- EXTRACTING VALUE FROM YOUR PATENT PORTFOLIO
- TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT
DOING THE DEVELOPMENT
- GATE DECISIONS: THE KEY TO MANAGING RISK DURING NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- WINNING PRODUCT REVIEW APPROVAL
- APPROACHES TO NEW PRODUCT FORECASTING
- ENHANCING NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT SUCCESS THROUGH INDUSTRIAL DESIGN STRATEGY
BUILDING A BRIDGE TO THE END USER: HOW INDUSTRIAL DESIGNERS CONTRIBUTE TO PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Background and Motivation of Industrial Designers
- Up-Front Involvement: Before Product Definition
- Collect and Analyze User Needs: Walk a Mile in Their Shoes
- Understanding Brand Essence, Promise and Positioning
- Concept Generation and Development
- Rapid Visualization
- Industrial Design Through the Development Process
- Industrial Design and Product Usability
- Design Refinements for Manufacturing and Product Launch
HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING CONSIDERATIONS IN NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- What Is Human Factors?
- What Value Does Human Factors Engineering Add? What's in it for Me?
- What Is the Impetus Behind Human Factors? Who Thinks This Is Important?
- Usability (How Useful Is it?)
- Human Factors Engineers as a Part of the Project Team: What Do They Do?
- When Is Human Factors Considered in the Product Life Cycle?
- Tailoring Human Factors Engineering to Your Company's Needs
- DESIGN BECOMES REALITY-RAPID PROTOTYPING
- RISK TOOLS FOR TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT: HAZARD ANALYSIS AND FMEA
FINISHING THE JOB
- USING AN EFFECTIVE METRICS PROGRAM TO SUPPORT BUSINESS OBJECTIVES
- MANAGING NEW PRODUCT AND SERVICE LAUNCH
- MANAGING THE SUPPLY CHAIN IMPLICATIONS OF LAUNCH
- MARKET TESTING AND POSTLAUNCH EVALUATION FOR CONSUMER GOODS
OVERVIEW AND CONTEXT FOR LIFE-CYCLE MANAGEMENT
- Life-Cycle Management: Work Areas and Work Structures
- Postlaunch Product Management
- Introducing Enhancements and Derivatives
- Providing Input into the Planning for the Next New Product to Which Existing Customers Are Likely to be Migrated
- The Last LCM Step: Executing Product Discontinuation and Final Exit
- Roadblocks to Achieving Best-in-Class LCM
- PRODUCT OBSOLESCENCE AND DISCONTINUATION
PDMA RESEARCH ON NPD
- LESSONS LEARNED FROM OUTSTANDING CORPORATE INNOVATORS
- FIRST RESULTS FROM THE 2003 COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT STUDY (CPAS)
- ABOUT THE PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION (PDMA)
- THE PDMA GLOSSARY FOR NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Title: The PDMA Handbook of New Product Development
- Release date: October 2004
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780471485247
You might also like
We're at an inflection point in data, where our data management solutions no longer match the …
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …
Analytical Skills for AI and Data Science
While several market-leading companies have successfully transformed their business models by following data- and AI-driven paths, …