The Persona Lifecycle is a field guide exclusively focused on interaction design's most popular new technique. The Persona Lifecycle addresses the "how" of creating effective personas and using those personas to design products that people love. It doesn’t just describe the value of personas; it offers detailed techniques and tools related to planning, creating, communicating, and using personas to create great product designs. Moreover, it provides rich examples, samples, and illustrations to imitate and model. Perhaps most importantly, it positions personas not as a panacea, but as a method used to complement other user-centered design (UCD) techniques including scenario-based design, cognitive walkthroughs and user testing. The authors developed the Persona Lifecycle model to communicate the value and practical application of personas to product design and development professionals.
This book explores the complete lifecycle of personas, to guide the designer at each stage of product development. It includes a running case study with rich examples and samples that demonstrate how personas can be used in building a product end-to-end. It also presents recommended best practices in techniques, tools, and innovative methods and contains hundreds of relevant stories, commentary, opinions, and case studies from user experience professionals across a variety of domains and industries.
This book will be a valuable resource for UCD professionals, including usability practitioners, interaction designers, technical writers, and program managers; programmers/developers who act as the interaction designers for software; and those professionals who work with developers and designers.Features
* Presentation and discussion of the complete lifecycle of personas, to guide the designer at each stage of product development.
* A running case study with rich examples and samples that demonstrate how personas can be used in building a product end-to-end.
* Recommended best practices in techniques, tools, and innovative methods.
* Hundreds of relevant stories, commentary, opinions, and case studies from user experience professionals across a variety of domains and industries.
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- ENTHUSIASTIC ENDORSEMENTS FROM BOTH FOUNDERS OF THE NIELSEN NORMAN GROUP!
- THE MORGAN KAUFMANN SERIES IN INTERACTIVE TECHNOLOGIES
Chapter 1: THE NEXT FRONTIER FOR USER-CENTERED DESIGN
- YOU ARE ALREADY A PROFESSIONAL IMAGINER
- THIS BOOK IS ABOUT BUILDING PRODUCTS FOR PEOPLE
- WHY DO WE NEED PERSONAS?
- PERSONAS HELP MAKE USER-CENTERED DESIGN POSSIBLE
- USER REPRESENTATIONS ARE NOT NEW AND WE CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE PAST
- THE NEXT FRONTIER FOR PERSONAS
- SOUNDS GREAT! LET’S USE PERSONAS! … IT’S EASIER SAID THAN DONE
- THIS BOOK IS DESIGNED TO FILL IN THE GAPS
- Chapter 2: OVERVIEW OF THE PERSONA LIFECYCLE
Chapter 3: PERSONA FAMILY PLANNING
- SETTING THE SCENE: WHAT’S GOING ON IN YOUR ORGANIZATION NOW IF YOU’RE NOT USING PERSONAS?
- WHAT IS FAMILY PLANNING FOR PERSONAS?
- BUILDING A CORE TEAM
- RESEARCHING YOUR OWN ORGANIZATION (ORGANIZATIONAL INTROSPECTION)
- CREATE AN ACTION PLAN
- DECIDE WHEN AND HOW TO INVOLVE CONSULTANTS
- IDENTIFY DATA SOURCES AND COLLECT DATA
- PLAN AND EXECUTE YOUR OWN PRIMARY USER RESEARCH
- CONDUCT FIELD STUDIES TO GATHER QUALITATIVE DATA
- COLLECT DATA THROUGH SECONDARY SOURCES
- TRACK AND MANAGE DATA SOURCES AS YOU COLLECT THEM
- Chapter 4: PERSONA CONCEPTION AND GESTATION
- Chapter 5: PERSONA BIRTH AND MATURATION
Chapter 6: PERSONA ADULTHOOD
- SETTING THE SCENE—WHAT’S GOING ON IN YOUR ORGANIZATION NOW?
- WHAT IS ADULTHOOD FOR PERSONAS?
- PLAN, DESIGN, EVALUATE, RELEASE: HOW TO USE PERSONAS DURING THE STAGES OF PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- STAGE 1: USE PERSONAS TO PLAN YOUR PRODUCT
- STAGE 2: USE PERSONAS TO EXPLORE DESIGN SOLUTIONS
- STAGE 3: USE PERSONAS TO EVALUATE YOUR SOLUTIONS
- STAGE 4: USE PERSONAS TO SUPPORT THE RELEASE OF YOUR PRODUCT
- TRANSITIONING INTO LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT, REUSE, AND RETIREMENT
- Chapter 7: PERSONA LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT, REUSE, AND RETIREMENT
- Chapter 8: USERS, ROLES, AND PERSONAS
- Chapter 9: STORYTELLING AND NARRATIVE
- Chapter 10: REALITY AND DESIGN MAPS
- Chapter 11: MARKETING VERSUS DESIGN PERSONAS
Chapter 12: WHY PERSONAS WORK: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL EVIDENCE
- UNDERSTANDING OTHER MINDS: WHERE DID THIS CAPACITY COME FROM?
- CONSCIOUS MODELS AND UNCONSCIOUS MODELS: WHY DOES IT MATTER?
- STUDIES OF ARTICULATED CONSCIOUS MODELS
- STUDIES OF UNCONSCIOUS MODELS
- PSYCHOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FROM WRITING
- PSYCHOLOGICAL EVIDENCE FROM ACTING
- SUMMARY: PSYCHOLOGICAL ACCURACY AND FICTIONAL PREPARATION
- PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENTS OF OTHER DESIGN METHODS
- FROM ENGAGEMENT TO CARING
- Appendix A: G4K ORGANIZATIONAL ARCHETYPE AND SAMPLE PERSONA
- Appendix B: EXAMPLE PERSONAS FROM REAL PROJECTS
- Appendix C: SAMPLE IMAGE RELEASE FORM
- CONTRIBUTOR INDEX
- SUBJECT INDEX
- ABOUT THE AUTHORS
- ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR
- Title: The Persona Lifecycle
- Release date: August 2010
- Publisher(s): Morgan Kaufmann
- ISBN: 9780080455730
You might also like
Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
The authors of the international bestseller Business Model Generation explain how to create value propositions customers …
The Essential Persona Lifecycle: Your Guide to Building and Using Personas
The Essential Persona Lifecycle: Your Guide to Building and Using Personas offers a practical guide to …
Buyer Personas: How to Gain Insight into your Customer's Expectations, Align your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business
See your offering through the buyer's eyes for more effective marketing Buyer Personas is the marketer's …
INSPIRED, 2nd Edition
How do today’s most successful tech companies—Amazon, Google, Facebook, Netflix, Tesla—design, develop, and deploy the products …