Some people just can't take criticism. And some people just can't give it-not in a positive, motivating, mutually beneficial manner, anyway. That's too bad, because criticism is essential to many aspects of business, such as performance appraisals, quality control, and team functioning, to name a few.
This empowering book helps readers take the sting out of criticism-and transform it from a destructive, demoralizing disaster into an energizing, educating experience that builds relationships and increases individual and organizational success.
Using real-life scenarios and the author's 21 tips to positive criticism, readers will learn to:
Think of criticism as a positive thing
Become strategic criticizers and develop their skill in using the power of positive criticism
Stay cool, calm, and collected when giving or getting criticism
Criticize their boss--without getting fired, and more.
Table of Contents
I. Twenty Tips
- Tip #1: Befriend Criticism
- Tip #2: Criticize Strategically
- Tip #3: Be Improvement Oriented
- Tip #4: Protect the Self-Esteem
- Tip #5: Choose the Right Words
- Tip #6: Criticize Your Criticisms
- Tip #7: Involve Your Recipient
- Tip #8: Remember the Merits . . . Without the ''But''
- Tip #9: Tell Them What You Want
- Tip #10: Be Timing-Oriented
- Tip #11: Use Questions Socratically
- Tip #12: When Words Don't Work, Use Your Actions
- Tip #13: Use Your Expectations
- Tip #14: Acknowledge That It's Subjectivesss
- Tip #15: Put Motivation in Your Criticisms
- Tip #16: Use Their World
- Tip #17: Follow Up, Follow Up, Follow Up
- Tip #18: Know Your Criteria for Criticizing
- Tip #19: Listen to Yourself
- Tip #20: Stay Cool, Calm, and Collected
- Tips in Action
II. Frequent, Challenging, and Difficult Criticism Situations
- So You're Afraid to Criticize Your Boss?
- The Wrath of Criticism
- It's Personal, Not Business
- Criticism Among Equals
- In the Line of Fire
- Criticism in Groups
- ''I Lost It in the Sun''
- When the Customer Isn't Right
- ''That's a Terrible Idea''; ''It Won't Work''; ''Nobody Cares''
- When You're the Fall Guy
- Friendship Harassment
- When Criticism Is Ethical
- I Heard It Through the Grapevine
- I Knew Him When . . .
- A Positive Critic
- Appendix The Criticism Inventory (TCI)
- About the Author
- Title: The Power of Positive Criticism
- Release date: September 1999
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 0814404839