It's no longer good enough to build a company to last; today it's about building a company to ignite change. The Power of Positive Destruction reveals how to start a new business, disrupt an industry, and adapt to changing environments by leveraging technology and a new mindset.
Serial entrepreneur Seth Merrin has built businesses by seeing issues with the status quo and introducing positive changes that have disrupted—and revolutionized—industries. In this book, he breaks down his process step-by-step to show you what you need to know to successfully start a company and transform an industry. Merrin's incredible story, coupled with real, actionable advice, will resonate with anyone who wants to be a catalyst of change. With this book, readers will learn to see the inefficiencies, ineptitudes, and everyday problems that others dismiss as the cost of doing business and create "unfair competitive advantages" to stack the deck—and win. You'll see how problems in current business models are really opportunities of which to take advantage and learn what you need to know and do to seize those opportunities —no matter where you work.
Seth Merrin saw Wall Street as it was, then built a company to turn it into what it could be—safer and more efficient for investors. This book shows you how he did it, and how you can too, with the power of positive destruction.
- Discover how to turn status quo into disruption
- Understand how to stack the deck in your favor to achieve the best possible chances of success
- Learn how to build and run a company and design a culture for constant change
- Acquire new skills to create strategy, sell your disruptive product or service, and negotiate effectively
Technology and innovation can disrupt or transform any industry. It's happening faster and more broadly now than ever, creating myriad opportunities for everyone. But winning in this new world is not easy. The incumbents will fight mightily against it and even those who would benefit from change may first express fear. This book reveals the techniques from identifying the opportunities to designing and executing the strategy you'll need to succeed. With The Power of Positive Destruction you can to tap into your inner change agent and transform your company, your industry, and the world.
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- Introduction: Problems and Opportunities Are Two Sides of a Coin
PART 1: THE IDEA
- Chapter 1: Any Industry Can Be Disrupted—Positively
- Chapter 2: Ask WTF
PART 2: LEADING THE INNOVATION
- Chapter 3: Create an Unfair Competitive Advantage
- Chapter 4: What Do I Do Now?
- Chapter 5: Business Is a Series of Problems to Solve
- Chapter 6: Develop Your Unique Selling Proposition
PART 3: SHAKING UP THE MARKET
- Chapter 7: Launching a Company Is Both Art and Science
- Chapter 8: Negotiation Skills: Can’t Be in Business without Them
PART 4: DRIVING THE REVOLUTION
- Chapter 9: No Tree Grows to the Sky
- Chapter 10: If You Don’t Make Mistakes, You’re Not Trying Hard Enough
Chapter 11: Culture by Design or Culture by Default
- If You Don’t Fully Trust Employees, Let Them Go
- Admit the Brutal Facts
- Hire Partners, Not Employees
- No Titles . . .
- No Ties . . .
- . . . and No Assholes
- Invest in People
- Constant Improvement Must Be Part of the Culture
- Repair the World
- It’s Not a Zero-Sum Game
- Appendix The Liquidnet Interview: Cultural Fit Questions
- The Liquidnet Experience
- Afterword: You Can Invent the Future
- Title: The Power of Positive Destruction
- Release date: December 2016
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119196426
You might also like
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 3rd Edition
Through a recent series of breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Python for Data Analysis, 3rd Edition
Get the definitive handbook for manipulating, processing, cleaning, and crunching datasets in Python. Updated for Python …
Data Analysis with Microsoft Power BI
Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, …