This sixth edition of The Practical Zone System by Chris Johnson updates the classic manual on Ansel Adams's landmark technique for the digital age. For photographers working digitally or with film, in color or black and white, in the studio or on the go, this simple visual language helps to control contrast and, through a process called Previsualization, provides photographers with the power of free creative expression.
This new edition discusses recent advances in technology and potentials for their use in zone photography, including HDR, smartphone cameras that shoot in raw format and smartphone light meters. Johnson demonstrates how the Zone System is a universal visual and conceptual language that dramatically simplifies the problem of creating and rendering complex lighting setups.
Table of contents
- Half Title
- Preface to the Sixth Edition
- Why and How to Read this Book
Chapter 1 “Will It Come Out?”
- What Exactly Is the Zone System?
- Why Is Photographic Technique So Important?
- Is the Zone System Outdated?
- If the Zone System Is So Important, How Were Good Photographs Taken without It?
- Do I need a Spot Meter to Use the Zone System?
- Isn’t the Zone System Useful Only with View Cameras?
- How Does the Zone System Apply to Digital Photography?
- Can the Zone System Be Used with Smartphone Cameras?
- Can I Use a Smartphone Light Meter Application with the Zone System?
- How Does the Zone System Apply to the Use of an Electronic Flash?
- Can the Zone System be Used with Color Film?
- Chapter 2 Print Quality, Negative Contrast, and Dynamic Range
- Chapter 3 The Control of Negative Contrast
- Chapter 4 The Zone
- Chapter 5 Exposure
- Chapter 6 Development
- Chapter 7 An Overview of the Zone System
- Chapter 8 Zone System Testing: Method 1
- Chapter 9 Zone System Testing: Method 2
Chapter 10 The Zone System and Digital Photography
- A Word about Structure and Understanding
- Basic Assumptions
- Digital and Film Photography
- Other Digital Printing Considerations: Large-Scale and Banner Printing
- Pixels: Size, Resolution, Bit Depth, and Quality
- Optimizing Digital Image Resolution
- The Scanning Process
- File Size Calculator
- Guidelines for Fine Digital Printing
- Bit Depth and Digital Exposure
- The Zone System of Digital Exposure
- A Summary of Digital Exposure Effects
- The Zone System and Digital Contrast Control
- Raw Converter Choices
- An Introduction to Adobe Camera Raw Utility
- Summary of Digital Photography Cardinal Rules
Chapter 11 The Zone System and Studio Photography
- About Bill Brandt’s Photograph
- Digital Workflow and the Power of the Zone System
- The Lighting Studio as a Creative Environment
- Understanding Flash Meters
- The Creative Sketching Process in the Studio
- Studio Exposure Methods: Flash Spot and Incident Meters
- Understanding the Lighting Studio Zone Chart
- Incident Meters Never Lie
- The Masterwork Re-creation Process
- Some Comments Regarding Equipment and Workflow Equipment
- Steps in the Process
- Summary of Preceding Steps
- The Shooting Process
- Appendix A Color Management, Profiles, and Color Spaces
- Appendix B A Primer on Studio Lighting Photography
- Appendix C What Is a Pixel?
- Appendix D Bit Depth
- Appendix E Exposure and the Digital Linear Effect
- Appendix F Digital Light Meters and the Zone System
- Appendix G A Primer on Basic Film Photography
- Appendix H Films, Developers, and Processing
- Appendix I The Practical Zone System Film and Developer Testing Method
- Appendix J Film and Developer Commentary by Iris Davis
- Appendix K Alternative Methods for Extreme Expansion and Contraction Development
- Appendix L Contrast Control with Paper Grades
- Appendix M Developer Dilution
- Appendix N Compensating Developers
- Appendix O Inspection Development
- Appendix P Condenser and Diffusion Enlargers
- Appendix Q ASA/ISO Numbers
- Appendix R Filter Factors, the Reciprocity Effect, and Bellows Extension Factors
- Appendix S A Compensation Method for Inaccurate Meters
- Appendix T Zone System Metering Form: In-Camera Meters
- Appendix U Exposure Record and Checklist for Zone System Testing
- Appendix V Examples: Zone System Applications
- Appendix W Suggested Reading
- Appendix X A Brief Directory of Online Digital and Photography-Related Resources
- Appendix Y A Brief Glossary of Zone System and Digital Terminology
- Title: The Practical Zone System for Film and Digital Photography, 6th Edition
- Release date: July 2017
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781315465319
You might also like
The Practical Zone System for Film and Digital Photography, 5th Edition
Now fully updated for the digital photographer, an authoritative and contemporary guide to Ansel Adams's Zone …
The Lensball Photography Handbook
Maximize your creativity and unleash a new perspective on your photography with the lensball. Whether taking …
The Flash Photography Field Guide
Shooting with any kind of flash - whether it's a simple light on your camera, a …
Creative Flash Photography
Small flashes can make a big impact! In this book, Tilo Gockel shows you how to …