What motivates consultants? The subject of motivation has been studied for many years, and many theories of motivation have been formulated. The following are the most prominent among the theories that relate to business and consulting (Kreitner, 2009; Burke, 2008):
- Behavior modification—B. F. Skinner
- Motivation-hygiene theory—F. Herzberg
- Expectancy theory—V. Vroom
- Need for achievement—D. McClelland
- Hierarchy of needs—A. Maslow
These are all psychologically based theories about human nature, our needs and drives. Each has merit and helps to explain what drives people and why they have such tendencies. However, most consultants are not psychologists and find it difficult to apply these theories to the workplace. A more ...