Projects are an important strategic management tool and a way of life in every business. But how do you get started and ensure you realize the benefits you need? Now in its 5th edition, the Project Workout is the definitive book on business-led project management. It is a valuable companion for every executive and project manager as well as a comprehensive resource for students of project management.
Projects are a way of life in every business and an important strategic management tool. But how do you ensure a project realizes the benefits you need? The Project Workout provides practical advice and techniques to direct and manage a project. Aimed at both project sponsors and project managers, it works through the life cycle of a project from initial idea to successful result. The practical approach is enhanced throughout with a series of "Workouts": exercises, techniques and checklists to help you put the book’s advice into practice. The Workouts are supported by an on-line resource of tools, including MS project views, project logs and templates. This expanded edition contains a wealth of new information, including how to work with standards and methods, such as ISO 21500, BS6079 and PRINCE2 and PMBoK.
The companion to this book, The Programme and Portfolio Workout, deals with directing and managing whole portfolios of projects, making sure everyone in your organization is working towards the same goals; together these books give you what you need to ensure all your projects succeed.
Table of Contents
- List of project workouts
- Foreword by Robert Heller
- About the author
- Preface to the Fifth Edition
Part I Challenges to be Faced
- 1 Challenges we need to face
- 2 Advice the best organizations give us
- 3 Projects in the context of businesses, portfolios and programmes
Part II A Walk through the Project Life cycle
- 4 The project framework: An overview of its gates and stages
- 5 Who does what?
- 6 The proposal: Identify the need!
- 7 The initial investigation stage: Have a quick look at it!
- 8 The detailed investigation stage: That looks promising ... let's have a closer look
- 9 The develop and test stage: Do it!
- 10 The trial stage: Try it out
- 11 The release stage: Let's get going!
- 12 The post-implementation review: How did we do?
13 Tailoring the staged framework
- Tailoring – making it work for everyone
- Four types of project
- Fitting into the staged framework
- Small stuff, or "simple" projects
- "Just do it" projects: loose cannons
- Agile or rapid "projects"
- Concurrent engineering
- Projects which impact a lot of people – the two stage trial
- Big stuff, or projects, subprojects and work packages
- The extended project life cycle
- 14 A few related projects: Simple programmes
Part III The Essentials You Need to Know
- 15 Project teams and style
- 16 Project governance
- 17 Project setup
- 18 Monitoring, controlling, and reporting
- 19 Managing benefits
- 20 Managing the schedule
- 21 Managing resources
- 22 Managing the finances
- 23 Managing what might go wrong (or right): Risks
- 24 Managing what has gone wrong (or right!): Issues
- 25 Let's do it differently: Change control
- 26 Keeping your stakeholders engaged
- 27 Reviews and more reviews: Assurance
- 28 Coping with all that documentation
- 29 Closing the project
Part IV Making Project Management Work for You
- 30 Being a project manager
- 31 Project management methods
- Appendix A Glossary
- Appendix B Document outlines
- Appendix C Method and standards commentary
- Appendix D Good meetings
- Appendix E Brainstorming
- Title: The Project Workout
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Routledge
- ISBN: 9781351761000