Balance focus with freedom
How to manage creative tensions
- How to communicate the tensions in a creative business
- How to judge the balance between focus and freedom
- How to avoid ‘rule creep’
- How to provide context rather than control
- How to use the four Ts to empower your employees to discretionary effort
“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”Antoine de Saint-Exupery, writer, aviator and author.
Management at the Silicon Valley media start-up Netflix was determined to treat employees like ‘fully formed adults’. So, they set up an honour system for time off. Employees kept track of holidays and ...