Chapter 2. Services
This chapter covers
- Refining the concept of microservices
- Exploring principle variants of the microservice architecture
- Comparing monoliths versus microservices
- Using a concrete study to explore microservices
- Thinking of microservices as software components
To understand the implications and trade-offs of moving to a new architecture, you need to understand how it differs from the old way of doing things, and how the new way will solve old problems. What are the essential differences between monolithic and microservice architectures? What are the new ways of thinking? And how do microservices solve the problems of enterprise software development?
A microservice is a unit of software development. The microservice ...