This isn't just "someone's opinion"...It's the first, definitive, evidence-based guide to effective management. In The Truth About Managing People...and Nothing but the Truth, Robbins delivers principles you can rely on throughout your entire management career--regardless of your organization, role or title. This is a management book that cuts through the soft opinion and conjecture books that have dominated the business shelves in recent years and shows what management researchers know actually works, or doesn't work, when it comes to managing people.
Drawing on the author's 30+ years of research and textbook writing experience, Robbins has distilled the results of thousands of research studies on human behavior into over 60 proven "truths" that can transform how you manage people--and the results that are achieved. The author provides guidance to you organized around key, human-behavior-related problem areas that managers face (hiring, motivation, leadership, communication, team building, conflict management, job design, evaluating performance and coping with change), along with guidance to help you apply the information and improve your managerial effectiveness.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Financial Times Prentice Hall Books
Part I: The Truth About Hiring
- Truth 1. Forget Traits; It's Behavior That Counts!
- Truth 2. Realistic Job Previews: What You See Is What You Get
- Truth 3. Tips for Improving Employee Interviews
- Truth 4. Want Pleasant Employees? It's in the Genes!
- Truth 5. Good Citizenship Counts!
- Truth 6. Brains Matter; or When in Doubt, Hire Smart People
- Truth 7. Don't Count Too Much on Reference Checks
- Truth 8. When in Doubt, Hire Conscientious People!
- Truth 9. Hire People Who Fit Your Culture: My "Good Employee" is Your Stinker!
- Truth 10. Match Personalities and Jobs
- Truth 11. Manage the Socialization of New Employees
Part II: The Truth About Motivation
- Truth 12. Why Many Workers Aren't Motivated at Work Today
- Truth 13. Happy Workers Aren't Necessarily Productive Workers!
- Truth 14. Workforce Generations and Values
- Truth 15. Telling Employees to "Do Your Best" Isn't Likely to Achieve Their Best
- Truth 16. Not Everyone Wants to Participate in Setting Their Goals
- Truth 17. Professional Workers Go for the Flow
- Truth 18. Watch Out for Cyberloafing!
- Truth 19. When Giving Feedback: Criticize Behaviors, Not People
- Truth 20. You Get What You Reward
- Truth 21. It's All Relative!
- Truth 22. Recognition Motivates (and It Costs Very Little!)
- Truth 23. Ways to Motivate Low-Skill, Low-Pay Employees
- Truth 24. There's More to High Employee Performance Than Just Motivation
Part III: The Truth About Leadership
- Truth 25. The Essence of Leadership is Trust
- Truth 26. Experience Counts! Wrong!
- Truth 27. Most People Think They Know What Good Leaders Look Like
- Truth 28. Effective Leaders Know How to Frame Issues
- Truth 29. You Get What You Expect
- Truth 30. Great Followers Make Great Leaders
- Truth 31. Charisma Can Be Learned
- Truth 32. Make Others Dependent on You
- Truth 33. There's No Ideal Leadership Style
- Truth 34. Adjust Your Leadership Style for Cultural Differences, or When in Rome . . .
- Truth 35. When Leadership ISN'T Important
- Part IV: The Truth About Communication
- Part V: The Truth About Building Teams
- Part VI: The Truth About Managing Conflicts
- Part VII: The Truth About Designing Jobs
- Part VIII: The Truth About Performance Evaluation
- Part IX: The Truth About Coping With Change
- Part X: Some Final Thoughts About Managing Behavior
- Title: The Truth About Managing People... and Nothing But The Truth
- Release date: June 2003
- Publisher(s): PH Professional Business
- ISBN: 0131838474