Truth 28Tax help in paying work-related moving costs

Did you take the proverbial advice to go west? If so, and your travel west, or any direction for that matter, was in connection with a job, the tax code could help you cover your relocation costs.

The tax break for moving expenses is relatively easy to claim. It’s right there near the bottom of your Form 1040. The nice thing about its location there is that you don’t have to itemize to claim this deduction.

If you do itemize, that’s okay, too. You still can take this above-the-line deduction, so called because it’s part of a group of tax breaks on the 1040 that appear just above the line where you enter your adjusted gross income.

But because you don’t have to itemize, there are no ...

Get The Truth About Paying Fewer Taxes now with O’Reilly online learning.

O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.