“An essential, enlightening guide to an area rapidly expanding beyond garish MySpace pages into an essential business component. This is a vital reference at just the right time!”
Mark A. Kellner, “On Computers” Columnist, The Washington Times
"Smart business people are using social networking to support their marketing and overall business strategies. But it is hard to do it right without understanding both social networks and the community norms you’ll find there. Rutledge’s book not only gives smart advice on how to navigate those waters, but does so with examples that are easy to understand and translate for use in your business."
Jason Falls, Social Media Explorer Blog
"This book could help your business make money and sales using social networking. From using MySpace and Facebook to using an internal social networking system, it covers it all."
Linda Roeder, Social Networking Weblog, and Personal Web Pages Guide, About.com
"Social media takes community effort. As such, networking is of utmost importance on social networking sites. To become a successful contributor, you need to be a team player. Don't be afraid to reach out to anyone, big or small. Making that connection and maintaining that connection is critical; everything else will fall into place from there. Rutledge uncovers all the necessary skills to use these tools in this easy-to-understand book."
Tamar Weinberg, Techipedia
"Using online social networks for business and professional advancement requires more than just understanding the technology. Social networks are all about human interaction. This book provides numerous examples, ample advice, and easy-to-follow guidelines for those looking to navigate the previously uncharted waters of technology-enabled social networking."
Amanda G. Watlington, Ph.D., A.P.R., Owner, Searching for Profit
"With The Truth About Profiting from Social Networking, Rutledge provides deep insights into social networking and how to profit from its proper usage, both financially and in your career."
Allen Stern, Editor, Center Networks
"There is a right way and a wrong way to use social networks. Rutledge uncovers these truths and makes understanding the difference between them clear so you can achieve success and avoid failure."
Jason Bean, Blogger, b5media
Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, & beyond: “social network” your way to success, step by step!
• The truth about using social networks to supercharge your career
• The truth about building your business through social networks
• The truth about social networking privacy, safety, and security
This book reveals 50 Proven Social Networking Principles and bite-size, easy-to-use techniques that work
Social networking is one of today's hot topics, and its popularity is predicted to grow over the next decade. An integral part of the Web 2.0 strategy of online collaboration, social networks are enabling millions of people to make the most of online connections and social networking strategies.
Table of Contents
- Praise for The Truth About Profiting from Social Networking
- I. The Truth About the Social Networking Phenomenon
II. The Truth About the Most Popular Social Networking Sites
- 5. MySpace isn’t just for teenagers
- 6. LinkedIn is the place for business
- 7. YouTube is for profit, not just play
- 8. Facebook extends beyond the collegiate crowd
- III. The Truth About Finding a Job Through Social Networking
IV. The Truth About Recruiting the Best Candidates Through Social Networking
- 15. The world of recruiting has changed forever
- 16. The best candidates are often the ones who aren’t looking
- 17. Be your own detective: finding candidates’ secrets is easier than ever
- 18. LinkedIn is the recruiter’s favorite social networking tool
V. The Truth About Networking Your Way to Business Success
- 19. A social networking marketing plan is not a traditional marketing plan
- 20. The right kind of “socializing” can lead to big profits
- 21. Reaching key decision makers requires trust
VI. The Truth About Launching a Product or Service Through Social Networking
- 22. The $2.2 billion tip: advertising where the crowds gather pays off
- 23. If you don’t “get” social networking, your campaign won’t work
- 24. Marketing to the MySpace generation is different
- 25. Making them hungry makes them buy
- 26. Viral videos are for business, not just fun
- VII. The Truth About Corporate Social Networks
- VIII. The Truth About Social Networking for Social Causes
IX. The Truth About Social Networking Success
- 33. Online networking is still networking
- 34. Quality counts: more isn’t always merrier
- 35. Online branding: your profile is how the world sees you
- 36. Learning from the masters can make you a master social networker
- 37. Six degrees of separation is more than just the name of a movie
- 38. Social networking doesn’t happen in a vacuum
- X. The Truth About Making Connections That Count
- XI. The Truth About Social Networking Privacy and Safety
XII. The Truth About the Future of Social Networking
- 46. Social networking will expand exponentially in the next decade
- 47. Social networking is going mobile
- 48. Not all social networking occurs on social networking sites
- 49. Creating your own social network is easier than you think
- 50. You don’t have to follow the trends just because they’re there
- About the Author
- Title: The Truth About Profiting from Social Networking
- Release date: May 2008
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780768684438