DON’T JUNK IT, FIX IT--AND SAVE A FORTUNE!
The only reference & tutorial of its kind--in full color!
Fix your own iPhone, iPad, or iPod with secret repair knowledge Apple doesn’t want you to have! This groundbreaking, full-color book shows you how to resurrect expensive Apple mobile iDevices you thought were dead for good, and save a fortune.
Apple Certified Repair Technician Timothy L. Warner demystifies everything about iDevice repair, presenting simple, step-by-step procedures and hundreds of crisp, detailed, full-color photos.
He’ll walk you through safely taking apart your iDevice, replacing what’s broken, and reliably reassembling it. You’ll learn where to get the tools and exactly how to use them. Warner even reveals sources for broken Apple devices you can fix at low cost--for yourself, or even for resale!
Replace All These iDevice Components:
• SIM card
• Logic board
• Dock connector
Take Apart, Fix, and Reassemble:
• iPod nano (5th & 7th Gen)
• iPod touch (4th & 5th Gen)
• iPhone (3GS, 4, 4S, & 5)
• iPad (iPad 2, iPad 4th Gen, & iPad mini)
Fix Common Software-Related Failures:
• Emergency data recovery
• Carrier unlocking
Do What Apple Never Intended:
• Resurrect a waterlogged iDevice
• Prepare an iDevice for resale
• Install non-Apple Store apps
• Perform out-of-warranty repairs
All technical content reviewed & approved by iFixit, world leader in iDevice parts, tools, and repair tutorials!
Table of Contents
- About This eBook
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Contents at a Glance
- Table of Contents
- About the Author
- We Want to Hear from You!
- Reader Services
- 1. Why Do It Yourself?
2. The Tools of the Trade
- What Does It Take to Become an iDevice Technician?
- Obtaining iDevice Technician Tools
- ESD Safety Equipment
- Plastic Opening Tool(s)
- Heat Gun/Hair Dryer
- Pick-up Tools
- Work Lamp with Magnifying Glass
- Magnetic Project Mat
- Industry Certification
- Certification Options
- 3. Protecting Your iDevice User Data and Settings
- 4. iDevice Repair Best Practices
- 5. iPhone 3GS Disassembly and Reassembly
- 6. iPhone 4S Disassembly and Reassembly
- 7. iPhone 5 Disassembly and Reassembly
- 8. iPad 2nd Generation Disassembly and Reassembly
- 9. iPad 3rd and 4th Generation Disassembly and Reassembly
- 10. iPad mini Disassembly and Reassembly
- 11. iPod touch 4th Generation Disassembly and Reassembly
- 12. iPod nano 5th and 7th Generation Disassembly and Reassembly
- 13. Sourcing iDevice Replacement Parts
- 14. Addressing Water Damage
- 15. Replacing the Front Display and/or Rear Case
- 16. Replacing the Battery
- 17. Replacing the Logic Board and/or Dock Connector
- 18. Recovering Data from Your Broken iDevice
- 19. Before You Sell, Donate, or Recycle Your iDevice
- Title: The Unauthorized Guide to iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod® Repair: A DIY Guide to Extending the Life of Your iDevices!
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780133380903