CHAPTER 1: THE STONE IN DAVID’S SLINGSHOT
1. Brian Apelt, The Corporation: A Centennial Biography of United States Steel Corporation, 1901–2001 (Pittsburgh, Penn.: Cathedral Publishing, 2001); Kenneth Warren, Big Steel: The First Century of the United States Steel Corporation, 1901–2001 (Pittsburgh, Penn.: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2008).
2. Mark Houser, “The Fall and Rise of the Mon Valley,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, September 9, 2007.
3. Martin Woertler et al., Global Steel: Breaking the Stalemate, Boston Consulting Group, 2002.
4. Warren, Big Steel, table A9.
5. Most of the data on Mittal draws from Donald Sull, “Spinning Steel into Gold: The Case of Ispat International N.V.,” European Management Journal 17, 4 (1999): 368–81. ...