I don’t build a house without predicting the end of the present social order. Every building is a missionary1… It’s their duty to understand, to appreciate, and conform insofar as possible to the idea of the house. (Lubow, 2009)
– Frank Lloyd Wright, 1938
After reading this chapter, you will:
1. Understand the concepts of work, work practice, and work domain
2. Understand the need to study users’ work activities in the context of their work practice
3. Be prepared to write a clear and concise product or system concept statement for your envisioned system
4. Know how to prepare for undertaking user research activities
5. Be ready to conduct user research by meeting with customers ...