After reading this chapter, you will:
1. Have acquired a clear understanding of the concept of affordances
2. Know and understand differences among the types of affordances in UX design
3. Know how to apply the different types of affordances together in UX design
4. Be able to identify false affordances and know how to avoid them in UX design
5. Recognize user-created affordances and their implications to design
To begin with, we gratefully acknowledge the kind permission of Taylor & Francis, Ltd. to use a paper published in Behaviour & Information Technology (Hartson, 2003) as the primary source of material for this chapter. This chapter is a prerequisite for the next two chapters, on the User ...