The Wall Street Waltz
Introducing the new Fisher Investment SeriesComprised of engaging and informative titles written by renowned money manager and bestselling author Ken Fisher, this series offers essential insights into the worlds of investing and finance.
"Any investor who fails to read and heed Ken Fisher's book will have only himself (or herself) to blame if he loses his shirt in the market. Using simple words and dramatic charts, Fisher packs a whole financial education into one neat package."
James W. Michaels, Editor Emeritus and Group Vice President-Editorial, Forbes, Inc.
"Ken's book vividly presents a complete picture of the stock market's history-a vital tool for the savvy investor."
Charles R. Schwab, founder, Chairman, and CEO, The Charles Schwab Corporation
"If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these charts could be worth your life savings."
William E. Donoghue, Chairman, W. E. Donoghue Co., Inc.
"Ken Fisher's clear, insightful analysis makes this a compelling book. For information and entertainment, this is a book to turn to again, and again, and again."
David Dreman, founder, Chairman, and CIO, Dreman Value Management, LLC
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- A Reintroduction to the Waltz
- Introduction to the Previous Edition
PART 1: STOCK MARKET VISUALIZATIONS
- Stock Market Strategy
- Wall Street: One Road Around the Globe
- Investment Lessons
- The Old and the New
- Author's Note: 2007
- Chart 1: Price/Earnings Ratios: Then and Now
- Chart 2: In Case You Didn't Get It the First Time
- Chart 3: Earning a Good Return in the Market
- Chart 4: Earnings Yields: Stocks versus Bonds
- Chart 5: Price/Dividend Ratios Provide Long-Term Vision
- Chart 6: Price-to-Book Ratios: Playing It by the Book
- Chart 7: Price/Cash Flow Ratios: A Hidden Twist
- Chart 8: An Advertisement for Super Stocks and Forbes
- Chart 9: Mr. and Mrs. Financial—Real Split Personalities
- Chart 10: Never a Timer Be: 56 Years of Stocks and Interest Rates
- Chart 11: Value Line Industrial Composite: All the Stats That Are Fit to Print
- Chart 12: Wealth Indexes for Classes of Securities, and the Winner Is . . .
- Chart 13: Invest Overseas and Diversify?
- Chart 14: Stock Prices Abroad: Seven More Market Mirrors
- Chart 15: The 51st Estate
- Chart 16: Stock Prices versus GNP
- Chart 17: The Premium Price of Growth
- Chart 18: Growth-Stock Gyrations
- Chart 19: “IPO” Means It's Probably Overpriced
- Chart 20: “Wake Up, Folks”
- Chart 21: Takeover Tactics in Relation to Assets
- Chart 22: The Silent Crash No One Noticed
- Chart 23: Moving with the Moving Average
- Chart 24: All the News That's Fit to Print
- Chart 25: Stock Prices versus Recessions
- Chart 26: Nine Major Stock Market Cycles
- Chart 27: Roaring Twenties Revisited?
- Chart 28: Price/Earnings Ratios Can Be Deceiving
- Chart 29: A Clear Warning
- Chart 30: The Big Boys Don't Always Buy Cheap
- Chart 31: Preferred Stocks Shouldn't Be
- Chart 32: The 2 Percent Rule
- Chart 33: Remember What the Rich Man Forgot
- Chart 34: Monthly Railroad Prices, 1843–1862
- Chart 35: Financial Fluctuations in the 18th Century? You Can Bank on It!
- Chart 36: Charting the South Seas
- Chart 37: 190 Years of Stock Market Movements
- Chart 38: Do You Figure They Earned Their Keep?
- Chart 39: Two Ways to Make a Million
PART 2: INTEREST RATES, COMMODITY PRICES, REAL ESTATE, AND INFLATION
- Interest Rate Movements
- Other Lessons about Interest Rates
- The Role of Inflation
- A Hard Look at Real Estate and Commodities
- Author's Note: 2007
- Chart 40: The Interest-Rate Shuffle
- Chart 41: Long-Term Interest Rates: Four Countries in the World Economy
- Chart 42: There Seems to Be a Bond Between These Yields
- Chart 43: The Snake
- Chart 44: Why the Interest in Oil?
- Chart 45: High Interest Rates Have Been a Recurring Nightmare
- Chart 46: 125 Years of the Counsel of the Consols
- Chart 47: The Source of England's Stiff Upper Lip
- Chart 48: When High Is Low—and Vice Versa
- Chart 49: Comparing Domestic and English Wholesale Prices
- Chart 50: Prices in Southern England
- Chart 51: Wholesale Inflation
- Chart 52: Inflation—The American Experience
- Chart 53: Gold: The Litmus Test for Commodity Prices
- Chart 54: Prices in Three Countries
- Chart 55: A Lesson in Avoiding Wars
- Chart 56: No Place to Go but Up?
- Chart 57: Long-Term Gold Holders Get the Cold Shoulder
- Chart 58: The Long Cycle in Real Estate Activity
- Chart 59: Rural Real Estate: The True Story
- Chart 60: And It Never Was, Either
- Chart 61: U.S. Housing Prices
PART 3: ANALYZING BUSINESS CYCLES, GOVERNMENT FINANCE, AND QUACKERY
- The Debt and the Deficit
- Antibusiness Myths
- Other Outcries
- Putting It in Perspective
- Author's Note: 2007
- Chart 62: The One-Minute Economic Cheat Sheet
- Chart 63: What Do You See in This Pattern?
- Chart 64: Unemployment and the 1 Percent Rule
- Chart 65: Cars Crash, Too!
- Chart 66: Housing Starts: An Inverted Look
- Chart 67: Breadlines in Britain
- Chart 68: A Capital Spending Myth
- Chart 69: South African Gold: How Important?
- Chart 70: Is Labor Really Overpaid?
- Chart 71: Electricity Use and Economic Growth
- Chart 72: Crude Oil Supply: A Tale of Government Involvement
- Chart 73: Texans Weren't the First to Ride—The Learning Curve
- Chart 74: In the Know, Or Heavily Snowed?
- Chart 75: Taxes: The Customs of Our Evolution
- Chart 76: Government Growth: The Big Picture
- Chart 77: State and Local Taxes on a Steady Course
- Chart 78: The States Are Revolting
- Chart 79: You Can't Put a Number on It
- Chart 80: The Myth of Federal Taxes
- Chart 81: Balancing the Budget with Hot Air
- Chart 82: Uncle “Fat Cat” Sam's Real Estate Scam
- Chart 83: Defense Expenditures and the GNP
- Chart 84: The Economic Cycle Economists Deny
- Chart 85: Sunspots
- Chart 86: Bear Markets versus Bare Knees
- Chart 87: Don't Buy Nuttin' What Eats
- Chart 88: Wall Street Witch Doctors
- Chart 89: Flukes of Nature and Finance
- Chart 90: Don't Lose Your Hide in the Market
- APPENDIX A: MYTHS TO FRIGHTEN CHILDREN
- APPENDIX B: UPDATED CHARTS
- Title: The Wall Street Waltz: 90 Visual Perspectives, Illustrated Lessons From Financial Cycles and Trends, Revised and Updated Edition
- Release date: November 2007
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470139509
You might also like
Mastering the Stock Market: High Probability Market Timing and Stock Selection Tools
Noted technical analyst John Person outlines a comprehensive method to pinpointing today's best trading opportunities The …
The Little Book of Stock Market Cycles: How to Take Advantage of Time-Proven Market Patterns
Jeffrey Hirsch discusses how to capture market-beating returns by following specific stock market cycles While predicting …
Beat the Crowd: How You Can Out-Invest the Herd by Thinking Differently
Train your brain to be a real contrarian and outsmart the crowd Beat the Crowd is …
The Intelligent Investor, Rev. Ed
More than one million hardcovers sold Now available for the first time in paperback! The Classic …