Chapter 2. New I/O
This chapter covers
- The new Java 7 I/O APIs (aka NIO.2)
- Path—the new foundation for file- and directory-based I/O
- The Files utility class and its various helper methods
- How to solve common I/O use cases
- An introduction to asynchronous I/O
One of the larger API changes in the Java language—a major update to the set of I/O APIs, called “more New I/O” or NIO.2 (aka
JSR-203)—is the focus of this chapter. NIO.2 is a set of new classes and methods, that primarily live in the java.nio package.
- It’s an out-and-out replacement of java.io.File for writing code that interacts with the filesystem.
- It contains new asynchronous classes that will allow you to perform file and network I/O operations in a background thread without ...