The Architecture of 8086
In this chapter, you will learn
- The internal architecture of the 8086.
- The registers of 8086 and their specific functions.
- The operation of the flags of 8086.
- The memory segmentation technique used by the x86 family.
- How to perform memory address calculations.
- The different addressing modes of 8086.
We will start our learning of the x86 family of microprocessors by understanding the architecture of the 8086 on which is based the architecture of the whole family. The 8086 is a processor catering to 16-bit data (D0 to D15) and having a 20-bit address (A0 to A19).
1.1 | Internal Block Diagram of the 8086
The 8086 processor is a 16-bit processor internally as well as externally—which means that its ...